Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking for a mouthpiece that has a certain sound for a long time and I had pretty much given up on finding it. My hunt was based of the sound I was able to get from the Selmer Soloist C* that came stock with the Mark VI that I played through High School and College in the 1970s. Unfortunately, every piece I tried just didn't have THAT sound. I think that sound can be best described as a French classical style sound. I'm not sure my perspective is correct, but I would call it a tone that emphasized the fundamental but with a moderate dose of higher overtones that add sparkle and projection. I have tried many vintage Soloists with larger tip openings but all of them generated a more spread tone and didn't give me what I was looking for. For some reason I didn't think the tip opening would have such a fundamental role in the sound I was looking for. I'm currently using a modern, reissued Selmer Soloist C** on alto and it seems very good for my purposes. What are the other aspects of this mouthpiece that give it THAT sound? Is it the shape or size of the chamber? Is it the baffle or non-existent baffle? Why does this mouthpiece sound they way it does and why haven't I been able to find a similar sound in other mouthpieces I've tried (many)? Sorry, for the theoretical question. But I thought any responses might improve my knowledge of mouthpiece design.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts