Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,799 Posts
funny you should say so but I just got a C (not mint.......) and I am trying to decide what to do with it, whether to keep it or sell it.....

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
Yes - a comment . . . I have a Selmer Scroll-shank soprano mouthpiece C* that I bought new in 1957. From what I've read over the years, it is a SOLOIST without the word SOLOIST being inscribed on it. I recently bought a new Super Session E soprano and it plays really well - much stronger and more precise than the scroll-shank C* with good intonation. I'm one to prefer more open tips on soprano, but with the right reed, the SS-E is playing mighty fine for me. DAVE

·
38,799 Posts
Short Shank Soprano soloist don't have the word soloist on the table but the indication of the opening is in a vertical oval as opposed to the horizontal oval of the airflow

form the " Mouthpiece museum"

·
Banned
8,336 Posts
I've owned a lot of Selmer scroll shank sopranos. The later 60's ones with the letter on top play much better for me athough they are all pretty inconsistant. The best one I've ever owned is my current one an E that was tweeked by Brian Powell. It measures the same as my D at 51. I got it from Kritavi on here and it formally belonged to a Jazz Messenger. It had a pickup installed that was removed and repaired by BP. I'm about to have a Maestro pickup reinstalled.

·
Distinguished Colorful Mouthpiece Designer
1,019 Posts
I've worked on one of those a couple of months ago. They play in a wonderful way when properly opened.
All the best,

Stan

·
38,799 Posts
I've worked on one of those a couple of months ago. They play in a wonderful way when properly opened.
All the best,

Stan
And you are about to do this with one of mine :bluewink:

·
14,268 Posts
Enlighten me . . . the term "short-shank" tells me there is a "long-shank" but I've never seen one. Of COURSE that doesn't mean they don't exist.

The C* I mentioned above has the longitudinal oval on the table with "C*" inside the oval. It is longer than my Super Sessions and the same length as my S-80 pieces.

Mouthpiece length is a critical factor on my vintage sopranos because of the supporting rib on the upper octave pip. That rib stops longer pieces from shoving on far enough to play in sharp environments. The scroll-shank soprano piece I own will just come to pitch but no more.

Another thing I'd like to address . . . there is a continuing believe stated here on SOTW that Selmer mouthpieces are inconsistent. I've owned and played a lot of different Selmer mouthpieces in my time and I have never come across a bad one OR a series of same-model-same-facings where they weren't exactly alike. I suppose that like anything man-made, there could be cases of poor manufacturing quality-control, but I don't buy the conventional wisdom that Selmer mouthpieces are inconsistent. DAVE

So, IS there a long-shank scroll-shank (Soloist) mouthpiece out there?

·
38,799 Posts
it is true that there is not a long shank soprano soloist but it is just a matter of terminology to indicate a certain type which went along with the short shanks for alto, tenor and baritone and at the time when all these were made they were part of a congruous series

·
Registered
8,025 Posts
After having a few "scroll shank" Selmer soprano mouthpieces, I've found that I like my S-80 better. I did have an E that was warped at the tip rail, but I doubt that it left the factory that way.

·
14,268 Posts
Thanks, milandro, for clearing that up for me.

I guess we are all different - I like my scroll-shank C* MUCH better than my S-80 C*, but that is just me. And, when comparing my Super Sessions with comparable S-80's, the Super Sessions are superior - for me. DAVE

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
I have a later soloist in an E that I got from Theo Wanne about ten years ago. He told me, "It's all original, and so perfect that I wouldn't dare try to change anything." If someone offered me a lot of money, I'd part with it. I've used it on so many brands, and it is pure joy every time.

·
38,799 Posts
perhaps better conducting private business via PM?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,030 Posts
Yes, go the PM route as posting prices, etc. here will open up others wanting in on it. Someone may steal it away from you.
As to short, long shank, I think it would apply to the metal ones as they tended to lengthen them.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Instead of making a thread I'll ask my question here, does the modern
hard rubber soloist for soprano have a o shaped chamber or horse shoe like alto and tenor. If it is a o shaped would they produced the same sound as a classic but a little bit brighter?

I'm plan on playing contempary/classical style music.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts