Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I am looking for pieces of information regarding the vintage Selmer soloist mouthpieces for soprano sax. What would be the "standard" tip opening of this mouthpiece? What would be the nearer current mouthpiece in terms of sound and intonation? Does anyone has tried/played the Retro Revival “Shorty” mouthpiece which is presented as a copy of the vintage Selmer soloist soprano mouthpiece?

Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
The Selmer Super Session plays very much like my original Soloist soprano mouthpiece from the early 70’s, you need look no further in my opinion.

·
Registered
8,026 Posts
The Selmer Super Session plays very much like my original Soloist soprano mouthpiece from the early 70’s, you need look no further in my opinion.
I’ve found the Selmer S-80 to play better that the scroll shank Selmer I had.
I should try a small tip Super Session again.
If you can find a Lelandais I thought those where very similar but maybe a little brighter. Great mouthpieces for soprano.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,933 Posts
Hello everyone,

I am looking for pieces of information regarding the vintage Selmer soloist mouthpieces for soprano sax. What would be the "standard" tip opening of this mouthpiece? What would be the nearer current mouthpiece in terms of sound and intonation? Does anyone has tried/played the Retro Revival “Shorty” mouthpiece which is presented as a copy of the vintage Selmer soloist soprano mouthpiece?

Thanks a lot!
Selmer C* sop tip opening is 0.047", according to the charts.

Mouthpiece Cafe: https://www.mouthpiececafe.com/product-page/espresso-soprano

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
1,010 Posts
Older Selmer Soloist are a tad bit lager than newer Selmers. And the older Selmer Air Flow feels even bigger. I have a bunch of these and regularly use a C** or D, (size is encircled in an oval on the table). I find these have the best tone for classical or jazz. I can also push a lot of air without sound breaking up.
I don't think the newer Selmers sound or play at all like the Soloist or earlier Air Flow. My opinion, your milage may vary.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Selmer C* sop tip opening is 0.047", according to the charts.

Mouthpiece Cafe: https://www.mouthpiececafe.com/product-page/espresso-soprano
Says out of stock. The 'S' model from Pillinger is really great as well, description as follows from https://pillingermouthpieces.co.uk/soprano-saxophone-mouthpieces:

‘S’ Model – similar to a vintage Selmer soloist. However, the throat is a little larger than the vintage Selmer and this allows for more body in the tone. A focussed, classic soprano sound.
I play this one in a 0.060" tip opening which works great.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I recently purchased the Retro Revival “Shorty” and love it. Finding an original Selmer Soloist that plays well and without needing work is a long shot. The prices on them are pretty high considering the risk. Save time and money and get the RR. Hard part is getting the right size because this piece plays so dam well. I got an “H” at .063 size and am not done deciding if I need to go down one size. I’ll probably just buy another

1 - 7 of 7 Posts