Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
8,336 Posts
Both of my Soloists are 51 tip a D and an E tweeked by Brian Powell. I also recently got a 65 tip Son of Slant piece from Aaron Drake that is really superb, I never thought I would be able to play a for me open tip but it is very controllable and responsive.
I agree with Dave about Selmer pieces. I have played a lot of original Soloists and S80's that were very poor. My lowest Selmer point came this week when I received my special order C** Selmer sopranino piece. I have a decent C* and a D and thought naively a C** would be perfect. I can hardly get a note out of it
the tip rail is none existant..I thought it was a blank. £124 later. Instead of sending it back I have sent it to the very fine refacer Morgan Fry. Selmer quality can be pitiful.

·
Banned
8,336 Posts
Tell me about it. Howarth only had C* 's in so I special ordered it from a local shop I like to patronise. Not their fault. Selmer never fail to frustrate me. I have their new bass clt and it's a beautiful horn but the SP Selmer cap in the case had a big dent in it..just little crap things that pi.. one off rotten. I'm a Selmer fan ( all V1) but the QC is sloppy and has been for years. Shops I go in all say it and it's true.

BTW Dave. I was rewatching " Carrington" the other night. Saw your name there in the credits.
Love that film.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts