Sax on the Web Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

· Distinguished SOTW Member
3,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Thanks Whaler
I know that i ve been had.
He also claimed that my EB STM was nt that great,and i offered to take it back,but he said ,no it s ok i ll keep it anyways..
Yes,,now when i look back,i think he knew darn well what he was doing.
Though i ve kept and played this AIR FLOW for at least five years,and probably would not think of letting go since i don t even have and play alto anymore.It is a good mpc.
I will keep his name to myself ,this will not help in any way.
What good would it do.
Thanks again for sharing your opinions and expertises on that alto mpc.
My regards
Saxobari

· Registered
9,232 Posts
As much as I love a good Soloist, it’s hard to beat an original EB Link.
An original Air Flow C* is the best bari mouthpiece I’ve played.
I’m sure the Selmer mouthpiece you’re selling plays great.
Maybe throw it on eBay and a Ted Klimt fan will pay a decent price for it.

· Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,856 Posts
Do you play an Airflow on Bari? I do too, but I've had tuning issues. Just curious if you have had any of the same problems.
As much as I love a good Soloist, it's hard to beat an original EB Link.
An original Air Flow C* is the best bari mouthpiece I've played.
I'm sure the Selmer mouthpiece you're selling plays great.
Maybe throw it on eBay and a Ted Klimt fan will pay a decent price for it.
Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

3,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I agree with you Whaler..

3,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I'm sure he was happy to make that trade as an EB STM goes for $600 and up and a long shank Soloist maybe $150 on a good day.
You have to watch these mouthpiece guys and their trades for work done.
Whaler,you are absolutely right!!
Mario

3,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
From strictly an investment standpoint, that seems like not-so-great of a trade. No doubt it was probably a perfectly good move for you at the time for practical reasons, and maybe that trade was before the price of vintage links was pumped through the roof by the Ebay dealer/dealers. Did you trade with a well known mouthpiece dealer/collector? We're you led to believe it was an even trade? It has happened to me before.
Hi Pontius
To answer some of your questions.
We did this trade about height years ago,or a bit less maybe.
The guy is a professional alto player from Canada ,but i wont mention his name,out of respect I have for mostly all members.
At the time,i thought that i was makin a good trade,but really thought it was an even trade,but I accepted the trade,it was my mistake thinking it was worth about the same,and also thinking it was a Soloist...Though i do have some doubt now that he probably knew very well it was a Soloist,but that is water under the bridge,life is too short for that!
All the best
Saxobari

· Registered
61 Posts
Hi Pontius
To answer some of your questions.
We did this trade about height years ago,or a bit less maybe.
The guy is a professional alto player from Canada ,but i wont mention his name,out of respect I have for mostly all members.
At the time,i thought that i was makin a good trade,but really thought it was an even trade,but I accepted the trade,it was my mistake thinking it was worth about the same,and also thinking it was a Soloist...Though i do have some doubt now that he probably knew very well it was a Soloist,but that is water under the bridge,life is too short for that!
All the best
Saxobari
The trade in question-is one that I did with Mario in 2012. He was looking for an alto mouthpiece to go with a Reference 54 he was using (that I helped him with). We had done many deals together, and continued to long after this deal...

He had a large font EB STM that had been poorly refaced, and wasn't playing well. At the time, an original large font STM in a small stamp was worth about $450 in original condition... Mario wanted a great alto mouthpiece, and I had been using that mouthpiece for a number of years (and had recorded with it). It was a terrific mouthpiece. I told Mario I had a Soloist style (not sure how that got lost in translation...) and that I wanted $350USD or would trade for it (I believe the ad is still up there somewhere). In those days, Ted was barely making his own mouthpieces (compared to the capacity he is now), his work was/is coveted. Any dealer would have been selling that mouthpiece for $350. Anyways, when the EB came in-it was in much worse condition than described, resulting in a limit in the tip size that could be reached (the metal was awfully close to the bite-late). It ended up around a 0.095" if my memory is correct and included it in when I sold my old Selmer tenor overseas.

Anyways, I just wanted to take the time to weigh in on this, as I'm being indirectly implicated here and there are always three sides to every story (in addition to Mario just contacted me wanting to buy a soprano mouthpiece from me).

I also dunno where the $150 TK refaced vintage pieces are, but I'll buy all of them at that price...

3,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Very treu that just the work of Ted K was worth way more then 150 dollars.
Also,i never meant to put anyone down,and also never mentioned a name.
As i told Nick,when i sented the EB,it was at my very beginning of great mpcs,how could have i known that it was nt as great as I thought it was,,i did also told him at the time,that we could have canceled the trade.
Anyways,,
Water under the bridge,,life is way to short for that...
Nick is a top player,and very treu that Selmer was still a fantastic player,,Soloist,,or Airflow.
All the best
Saxobari

3,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
To finish,
Yes ,definitely,i would do trades,or deals with Nick.
All the best
Mario

14,305 Posts
Kind of sn old thread bit s klum reface or any reface done by someone highly respected will move a piece a lot faster. It may add some value to the piece. However, on the whole you don’t typically get your full moc value plus the reface cost from a piece. Of course it depends on what piece.
Also, just like any working artist or craftsman. If they are alive and producing the price is not elevated. If they produce a lot the value added is limited. If it were a Freddy Gregory it would be a different price point. Makes no matter which plays better, FG aint making more pieces.

In the case of a soloist style piece that is opened and done well by a big name...it is worth more than original since few buy them the price is low and many who do buy them get them as pieces tohave rebuilt. Since the work is already done on this one its good to go out of the box. That counts for a lot.

· Registered
61 Posts
Thanks Mario. I'm glad we sorted everything out, and there are no hard feelings. I haven't sold mouthpieces for a while, and I just didn't want anybody thinking that I did them wrong-especially when on a public forum. That was a really special piece for me, having played it for so long. I hope whoever has it, is getting as much enjoyment as I had from it.

If they're on here, I'd even try to get ahold of it again. It had TK82 stamped on the side. If anybody around here has it and wants to move it, I'd be happy to get it back.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.