Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when did the original selmer soloist production stop?
what sopranino selmer mouthpiece was avaliable in the 70s?
is it the same model as selmer has today for nino (do they actually have one today??) ?
thanx :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,035 Posts
I am not sure when the ones with soloist on them stopped but the scroll shank "soloist style" stopped about 1980 when the s-80 was introduced. It think the short shank soloist gave way to the long shank about 1965-66.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
bruce bailey said:
I am not sure when the ones with soloist on them stopped but the scroll shank "soloist style" stopped about 1980 when the s-80 was introduced. It think the short shank soloist gave way to the long shank about 1965-66.
I bought my S-80 in 1974. It came out just before the MkVII.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanx for the info.. :) :)
but let me rephrase my questions into a single one:
am looking to buy a nino selmer mpc that I saw for sale, the seller says it was bought in the early 70s and has it no markings (no "soloist" or s80, just "selmer C*).. what does this makes it?? it has no scroll work on the shank but I guess it is too small to have any.
thanx again :)

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
bbbouklas said:
am looking to buy a nino selmer mpc that I saw for sale, the seller says it was bought in the early 70s and has it no markings (no "soloist" or s80, just "selmer C*).. what does this makes it?? it has no scroll work on the shank but I guess it is too small to have any.
I don't pretend to be a 'nino expert, but if the chamber is horseshoe shaped, I would think that it is some flavor of soloist or soloist style. Square would be an S80. Round would be an LT (larry Teal) type.

It's a rare piece in any case, I would think.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
1,612 Posts
bbbouklas said:
The only thing I noticed that is (cosmetically) different between my vintage and modern Selmer 'nino mpcs is the tip-rail curve. I'm sitting in an airport otherwise I'd check, but I'm pretty sure that the modern ones have a straighter (more squared-off) tip-rail and the vintage have a more curved. I believe the chambers look the same (to my untrained eyes), but the vintage one plays better. I will check when I finally get home, but I think that they all have round chambers. (I have a vintage E and modern D and E.)

FWIW - The yani mpcs play better, but I'm also playing on a yani 'nino.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
Little Sax said:
The only thing I noticed that is (cosmetically) different between my vintage and modern Selmer 'nino mpcs is the tip-rail curve. I'm sitting in an airport otherwise I'd check, but I'm pretty sure that the modern ones have a straighter (more squared-off) tip-rail and the vintage have a more curved. I believe the chambers look the same (to my untrained eyes), but the vintage one plays better. I will check when I finally get home, but I think that they all have round chambers. (I have a vintage E and modern D and E.)

Do you think that they just didn't redesign to the horseshoe chamber, because of they didn't expect to sell/manufacture that many?

·
1,612 Posts
hakukani said:
Do you think that they just didn't redesign to the horseshoe chamber, because of they didn't expect to sell/manufacture that many?
I've never seen a horseshoe-chamber in a Selmer mpc smaller than an alto. I have an oval-chamber scroll-shank sop mpc, and I've seen several round-chamber scroll-shank sop mpcs. These three 'nino mpcs I've mentioned are the only Selmer 'nino mpcs that I've had a chance to hold so I don't know if they're representative or anomalies.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
Little Sax said:
I've never seen a horseshoe-chamber in a Selmer mpc smaller than an alto. I have an oval-chamber scroll-shank sop mpc, and I've seen several round-chamber scroll-shank sop mpcs. These three 'nino mpcs I've mentioned are the only Selmer 'nino mpcs that I've had a chance to hold so I don't know if they're representative or anomalies.
Hmmm. Interesting. They do manufacture an S80 with a square chamber for soprano. I wonder why they didn't go to a horseshoe on the soloists (not that the horseshoe is a great design).

·
1,612 Posts
hakukani said:
Hmmm. Interesting. They do manufacture an S80 with a square chamber for soprano. I wonder why they didn't go to a horseshoe on the soloists (not that the horseshoe is a great design).
I have a few S80 sop mpcs that I used to play, but I've found mpcs that play better. I'm actually surprised that the 'nino mpcs weren't square-chambered.

·
Mouthpiece Refacer Extraordinaire and Forum Contri
3,406 Posts
Little Sax said:
Going through this thread, I was getting a case of the 'ol GAS until I read this. Thanks for saving me the trouble. :)

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
EZ said:
Going through this thread, I was getting a case of the 'ol GAS until I read this. Thanks for saving me the trouble. :)
I can see the expression on Ms. hakukani's face if I wanted to buy a 'nino!!!!
That image can cure a case of hiccups!!!!!:shock:

·
Mouthpiece Refacer Extraordinaire and Forum Contri
3,406 Posts
I've got an Elimona nino with a few Yani mpcs - Looks like I'll skip the Selmer mpcs.

Get one - they are a hoot. Just tell her you left your soprano in the dryer too long.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
EZ said:
I've got an Elimona nino with a few Yani mpcs - Looks like I'll skip the Selmer mpcs.

Get one - they are a hoot. Just tell her you left your soprano in the dryer too long.
Already used that one on my piccolo.;)

·
1,612 Posts
EZ said:
No problem, but of course, YMMV... :)

·
1,612 Posts
EZ said:
BTW - I gave a few short sound-clips (Csop) to cmelodysax for his website. Right before I recorded them, I happened to have been evaluating all these 'nino mpcs so I sent him a clip of me with my Yani metal 7 as a comparison. He tossed it up there too. If you listen to it, excuse the intonation on the E3... I only sent the clip as something humorous.

FWIW, I'm actually going for a "dark" sound on my 'nino (relatively speaking) and that Yani metal 7 seems to be the closest thing for me right now.

The 'nino mpcs I own are: vintage Conn, vintage Selmer E, modern Selmer D and E, Yani HR 5, and Yani metal 5 and 7.

·
1,612 Posts
Little Sax said:

I was able to look at all my Selmer 'nino mpcs. I did remember correctly; all of them have round chambers.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts