Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a tenor player who has been trying to find a sound on alto for three years now. I've been using mainly Meyer pieces. I went to look at a Conn 26M and was pleasantly surprised by the soloist D piece that came with it, this is an old short shank model. I think an E would suit me better but Hey this is putting me on my way. Any other pieces in this vein I should know about? I may have to buy the sax to get mouthpiece!!

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I plan too. I see Selmer have re-issued them I wonder what the new ones are like. Not overly pricey either not like some of their other products !!!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
Michael Ward says, "The new ones are not good. The originals are on a different planet."

I have a new Selmer Soloist F for alto. Mine plays good, although i don't prefer it over other pieces in my collection. My grandson in high school uses a new Soloist (I think it is a C#) alto and he sounds fine on it. He likes it. Both of the new Selmer Soloists I know about are good. DAVE

·
Banned
334 Posts
I play a current production Selmer Soloist D and I prefer it over all my other mouthpieces. Otto Link TE, Meyer G 6, Vandoren V16 A6M, Phil Barone NY 6 and Vandoren Java A35.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I'm a Primary Tenor player. I use a Refaced .105" Guardala Studio on tenor.
On Alto I've found the Otto Link Tone Edge HR amazing at a 5* opening. The opening really gets a versatility in different genres of music. I've tried Selmer Soloist C*, Meyer 6M, Selmer S80(x2 for consistency purposes),and by far the Otto Link HR Tone Edge 5* is my favorite; let me know what you decide on.

·
Banned
8,336 Posts
Michael Ward says, "The new ones are not good. The originals are on a different planet."

I have a new Selmer Soloist F for alto. Mine plays good, although i don't prefer it over other pieces in my collection. My grandson in high school uses a new Soloist (I think it is a C#) alto and he sounds fine on it. He likes it. Both of the new Selmer Soloists I know about are good. DAVE

Must be my definition of "good"

If say your Klums, Drakes, Wannes etc are Arsenal. Man United and Chelsea ...your current Selmers are Accrington Stanley

Ed best take the short shank into a shop and compare to the 4 stroke new ones maybe you'll get lucky and save a few quid.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Decided on the Expresso from Mouthpiece Cafe. The Conn 26M is a relacquer and whilst it has an edge tonewise on my Yanigasawa 880 the keywork, particualary now I'm starting to get altissimo does present problems.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well received my piece from Mouthpiece Cafe and am very pleased. I could recommend any-one thinking of getting a piece from any of the makers on the forum of their versions of the older pieces without the 'antique, collectable prices'. Well worth it in my opinion. Leave the old Meyers,Selmers,Guardallas to the collectors. Players get a new makeover on an old design. In my case the subtle improvements on an old proven design really add to my playing experience.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts