Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All I know is that this mouthpiece is from the sixties , what is the minimum worth of such a mouthpiece ?

·
Registered
6,198 Posts
Minimum = 0.

Alto, tenor, or baritone?

Keep in mind that one of these was thrown into the case of every Selmer Mark 6 sold, plus thousands of them were sold as a standard band mouthpiece.

They are great and underappreciated mouthpieces, but neither rare nor particularly valuable.

OK, my rough guess on real world street pricing for one in "ordinary" shape would be something like $50 for alto, $75 for tenor and $100 for baritone. Someone who actually knows something should chime in here and correct me where I'm wrong.

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,871 Posts
If it is a short shank, they tend to go for more money. You could probably get $150-$250 for it depending on condition.

- Saxaholic

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Is it a short shank? I got $275 for my short shank I sold on eBay back in December (came with ligature, no tip damage, faded coloration). I've seen others go for around $200 or a bit less, but between $200 - $250 is more common. If it's a long shank, you'll probably get about half of what you'd get for a short shank.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I have purchased many different soloists (6-7) in the past. Here are my estimates, or at least what I would consider paying depending on condition, based on selling prices through the years:

70's Soloist style: $75-$150
60's Long Shank Soloist: $100-$200
50's Short Shank Soloist: $150-$250+

I personally look for the cheaper priced ones that are in good condition (My main mouthpiece, a soloist style, cost $95), but the higher prices mentioned are also commonly seen. I would only sell them at the higher price if they are in excellent, original condition. This is all IMHO.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts