Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got a Selmer Soloist C* for my set-up and it played EXCEPTIONALLY well for the first week. Within the past month, however, it has been chirping every time I articulate or play at a high volume. I have yet to go and try new reeds in a higher strength (I play Gonzales Classic 3's with a Winslow ligature) but on my old S80 C* mouthpiece, none of the same reeds chirp at all. I possibly got a defective model, but I have yet to take it into a shop to be checked or ask for another one to try out. Any thoughts? It can be super depressing to pick up the saxophone and chip every time you play an accented/staccato note in the 3rd movement of the Creston sonata, as it is 80% accent/staccato..

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,289 Posts
If you chirp on the Soloist but not on the S-80, I suspect either the Soloist has a problem with the facing OR maybe you should try different reeds (and even a different ligature with it). I recently bought a new Vandoren mouthpiece that chirped. I had it touched up by a mouthpiece re-facer and that took the chirping out of it. DAVE

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
What Dave said.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
12,907 Posts
Most shops will not have the staff or tools to check a mouthpiece but you can check others of the same model against it.
It's odd that it would start this after a week of playing.
Did you wash it in hot water?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've tried my old Optimum ligature and the standard selmer one that comes with my Serie II and that isn't the issue. It's most definitely the reeds, because it started happening on both mouthpieces.. Once my wisdom teeth surgery heals up I'll go try some harder/different reeds and also get my mouthpiece looked at. Thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts