Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I entered a piano store today to begin the search for my son's desired first acoustic piano. In the far end of the store were a few used wind instruments. I walked over and saw a Bundy II alto, a split bell keys alto (to which I did not pay much attention, as I have 4 altos I love already).
There was, however, an all brass (keys, too) tenor sax with a SELMER SIGNET logo, in a classic early 1960's blue sparkle Tolex wooden case with navy blue leather binding and red interior. It seems, though, that someone had put this much-more-recent Signet into a much older case. I snapped a quick pic and noted the serial number, hoping someone could give me some idea of its era. The neck was good, there was a Hite Premier in the case, and the pads looked in good shape. Photo shows a more modern left pinky cluster. They are asking a pittance for it (assuming it plays).
Pic attached. Can anybody identify this horn by era from one pic and a serial number?
Musical instrument Wind instrument Rectangle Woodwind instrument Reed instrument

Serial number is 7 digits:
1030xxx.
Thanks for any input you may offer.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
The early model Signet's with the "S" shaped bell to body brace are well regarded - those that followed are regarded less favourably than the early models.

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2017
4,006 Posts
Probably will play nicely if it is well set up, decent pads, etc. Not worth a lot though.

·
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is it a Bundy II tenor in all-lacquer? I remember the Aristocrat-like Signet with S bell brace and left bell keys from my high school days in the late 1960's, but this is very different. Made in the 1990's, perhaps?

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2017
4,006 Posts
Sure. Derivative from Buescher?

the Bundys were Buescher.
maybe this is like a Bundy II.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Same as my Buescher 400 mid eighties vintage! A bit shinier though. This is my back up horn, I had it overhauled a few years ago, and it plays really well - If it doesn't need too much work then they are a really good buy IMHO!
Musical instrument Reed instrument Wind instrument Brass instrument Woodwind instrument

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
If they're asking a pittance - grab it I say.

·
3,603 Posts
i have had 2 of these and both very good players. grab it if price is right

·
Premium Member
26,254 Posts
I had and loved one of these. back in the early nineties. I bought it at a flea market for 150 bucks, then had it put in playing condition for another 100. I played it in a community band with a MC Gregory that I got for 15 bucks, and later in an alternative rock , plus a ton of blues james. It was stolen out of my car after a jam (they got the dukoff, too, but not the MC Gregory). I really liked the ergos and the big sound. Wish I still had it

Reactions: JfW
1 - 10 of 10 Posts