Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wondering what the general thoughts are from you guys are on these horns. always interesting and helpful to hear a variety of opinions.

·
Registered
553 Posts
They're excellent. I play on one and would recommend to anyone without any hesitation. Great across the board. I've played other tenors I've liked but nothing has come near the 3 for me. People can have their doubts about the 3 on alto but tenor really is a stand out.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I agree with A.Smith. The III altos never did it for me, however, the III tenor is one of the best there is. I owned one for several years before purchasing a Selmer Ref. 54 tenor. Rich and centered, and perhaps the most powerful tenor made today. I'd be careful on mouthpiece selection since the III tenor is a brighter horn than Selmer's other offerings. Nevertheless, you can't go wrong. I recently played a friends Silver Plated III tenor and the sound and response was amazing.

·
Registered
293 Posts
not to hijack the thread but SaxPlayer1, can you elaborate on the sound differences betw the "regular" lac III and the silver plate? I know the III is already bright and would worry that the silver might go too far in that direction.

thanks!
TM

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
27,255 Posts
I usually get to try a few every year at the Sax Symposium, and they've been my favorite modern tenors for years now. The last batch I tried last January however, had me underwhelmed.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I just got a III tenor earlier this year after 2 frustrating and fruitless years looking for a VI that played well and I could afford. Through that time I tried lots of VIs from top flight shops. For me, the III tenor gets really close to what I wanted from the VIs for about 3000 dollars less. The intonation is great, the ergonomics are more VI like than other modern horns to me, I love the angle of the neck (intended to replicate the VI angle), the tone is the closest I've found to that 164XXX from Saxquest that got away from me (I was 3000 short).

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician.
3,261 Posts
I preferred the SIII alto to the SII and Reference, that I've tried. (Not had too many in my hands). I liked the SIII tenor as well but I've never compared it side by side with SII or S80.
Really the advice is like with any other horn. Try and and see. If you like it, that's what counts. Don't buy a horn for me or one of the other guys, unless you're prepared to hand it over :eek:) Get one that suits you. SIII are very well built and I found them to have good tone and tuning. Nothing I could say against them really.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
7,215 Posts
Had my Serie III tenor for a few years now, bought lightly used for $2600, well set up (Terry Deane).
Powerful centered tone, wonderful action.

The Tenney Jazzmaster 7* really does it for me on my III, great flexible versatility.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,732 Posts
I had a good one for a few years (until the Ref 36 came out and I found one to replace the III). I've played several weak Serie III tenors as well.

Bottom line: Try some. I found it to be on the brighter side of things (unless you play a real stuffy one) and preferred the Ref 36.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
I usually get to try a few every year at the Sax Symposium, and they've been my favorite modern tenors for years now. The last batch I tried last January however, had me underwhelmed.
Just like me!
I played a few at the 2010 Symposium that made me actually research pricing, finish, and best supplier.
Then I played a few at the 2011 Symposium and hated them.

·
"King In The Castle" & Distinguished SOTW Member
2,678 Posts
I would recommend the Reference 36. If you can get a used one, the price should not be somewhere around 3K. I have played both models and feel that the 36 is better made and feels and sounds better than the Series III. In fact, I own a 36 as a Selmer alternative to my 1972 Mark VI.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hmm. i think ill definitely look into the 3 and the ref 36 now :). no talk of the ref 54... ominous sign

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
also regarding the 3. i live in australia and our shops aren't quite up to standard. theres only one 3 in stock so what should i be looking for regarding good one vesus bad one?

·
Forum Contributor 2015, SOTW Better late than neve
4,273 Posts
I owned a silver SIII for about five years until selling it last year. It was very balanced, flexible, and easy to get what you wanted out of it. Sound was slightly bright"ish", but not overly so. Great horn if you want to blend in a group or step out solo. I don't think you can go wrong.

Hey, Tim Price plays a silver SIII. What other proof do you need? These are worth a look.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
hmm. i think ill definitely look into the 3 and the ref 36 now :). no talk of the ref 54... ominous sign
Selmers can still quite variable 'off the peg' so you must go with your own instincts as to which particular instrument works best for you, many players like the ref 54 and sound good on it. I have had a silver plate S3 for eleven years now and it's a good horn, but although I have played good Reference tenors I thought that there was not enough difference to warrant changing. The very best Selmer tenor I have played in the last few years was a Ref 36, however so was the worst, so go figure!

·
Registered
55 Posts
I agree with "Selmers can still quite variable".. I have a Selmer Ref. 36 Tenor which plays great only four years old but I'm annoyed by the key noise..Especially with G# and other keys. it really lowers my enjoyment of playing the horn.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ok so numerous people are posting about the silver plated 3's. i was of the opinion that materials made no difference to tone... am i entirely incorrect?

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
ok so numerous people are posting about the silver plated 3's. i was of the opinion that materials made no difference to tone... am i entirely incorrect?
Yeah, there's been a lot of discussion (i.e. unresolved argument) about this on SOTW over the years and it's been a bit like 'Christians v. Heretics' so careful what you open up[rolleyes]; you have to make your mind up for yourself on that one. FWIW I think it makes a slight subjective difference in certain areas of tone and response, but probably not enough for you to go hunting a silver plated horn just for its own sake.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,287 Posts
The silver ones give a silvery tone like a cloud with a silver lining or a silvery moon.

The brass ones give a brassy tone like old brass military hardware.

The series 3 from 2008 are absolute garbage, a Chinese horn would be better, but the series 3 from 2009 have a better thing than the Mark VI thing.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts