Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone has tried a selmer series 3 neck on a Yamaha 82Z tenor, and what results in intonation you had.
My tenor came with a G1 neck and the notes above C on the upper register are a bit sharp, the curious thing is altissimo isn't.
I'm planning to get a selmer series 3 neck to see if that improves the intonation. I live in Australia and here isn't easy to get a G3 and if I find one will be very expensive (like everything else sax related).

Appreciate the help.

(Please don't start the replies with "me and my Mark VI...." LOL)

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
I actually know a classical player who used a g1 to impove the intonation on his series III. (Alto)
But yeah, the only other instance of me trying a series III neck was on my mark VI. (Lol) On a serious note, it played very sharp in around the same register as you described, so i returned it to wwbw.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Andre251,
I guess it won't be the solution.
I visited the Yamaha site and surprisingly they do not have the G3 neck. They offer a C1, E1 and V1 model. Go figure!
If I tune on the upper register, the MP is almost hanging from the crook.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Thanks Andre251,
I guess it won't be the solution.
I visited the Yamaha site and surprisingly they do not have the G3 neck. They offer a C1, E1 and V1 model. Go figure!
If I tune on the upper register, the MP is almost hanging from the crook.
In the last 2 years or so, they discontinued the G series necks, releasing the C, E, and V models. They're great! I'm partial to the gold plated V1 on my 82Z. But unfortunately could not afford to purchase it at the time I went to try it. That particular neck made everything tune a lot better as well as made it easier to play. But yes, I have found that on my 82Z with my stock G1 neck, anything above high E plays sharp. But you're right, altissimo isn't. I typically end up having to voice it down. Played a Mark VI in a shop the other day. Those high Es and Fs slotted right in tune for me with ease.

I have put a Selmer neck on my Yamaha before. I couldn't get it to fit on all the way but I tried playing it anyways and it was pretty awesome I must say. If you do buy a Selmer neck you'll have to get it fitted to your tenor.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts