Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all

I just recently acquired a Selmer Series 10G Bb clarinet on ebay for $600 and from my perspective as an adult re-beginner it sounds great even with the old 5rv Lyre mouth piece. So my question is: What kind of deal did I get for this clarinet? The pads are good and there are no leaks or cracks. The horn is old and appears well used by the previous owner but solid with no issues. I don't know much about Selmer as I'm use to Yamaha.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I think it's a good deal. They're all solid horns, and a few of them are great horns. Once you get used to it and get your chops back, start trying out some mouthpieces. The variety and quality available has increased exponentially since the old days.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,160 Posts
Good Solid Clarinet. I have a Series 10 that I've played for 10 years. It was in an attic in Florida for years and now I have it in Syracuse, NY. Only the bell had a little crack (that was repaired). The wood has proven to be extremely stable. Your 10G is a more highly regarded instrument them my Series 10. Gigliotti (That's the G in 10G) help with the design and it was Selmers version of the smaller bore undercut tone-hole clarinet design (more Buffet-ish). It's way more clarinet then needed at the beginner level; however, there's plenty of room to grow into this instrument. This is information I've gathered over the years, please be sure to check with other sources.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,384 Posts
Bob, if it plays in tune you did very well. Some student horns are retailing for 1000 now. Good luck, get out the tuner. K

1 - 4 of 4 Posts