Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am buying my first tenor... I have been playing alto for many years.So, i can not make a decision, what to buy. borgani or selmer?what do you think?

·
(formerly borganiboy)
5,566 Posts
Had a Serie II,not for me though.My silver serie III was better but the 2 borgs i had were the best of this bunch.Nicer all round

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,938 Posts
Don't play a Borgani Jubilee - it will spoil you for anything else.

What sound are you hoping to emulate?

The Jubilee and Serie II are apples and ducks in my experience - in Selmers there are other tenors that I prefer.

BTW, I played Selmers for 20 years or so before discovering Borgani Jubilee. I haven't played a gold plated model but loved the early silver pearl (# 409J) and the silver plate (that has displaced my Ref 36).

BorganiBoy has the most recent experience of testing new Jubilees. Unlike most saxophone manufacturers, Borgani company is quite small and is able to evolve a design in production.

·
(formerly borganiboy)
5,566 Posts
BorganiBoy has the most recent experience of testing new Jubilees. Unlike most saxophone manufacturers, Borgani company is quite small and is able to evolve a design in production

Yes indeedy DR G.I also owned a pearl silver jubilee tenor about 9 years ago.I loved it.Tested that with a gold plate,silver plate,pearl gold horns then.All have there own thing going on.Well i sold it and got a great selmer silver serie III,big regret after the 1st week,the III was great but lacked the borgs depth.,Just tested 3 new borgs about 2 weeks back,my black silver,the pink 24k goldplate and the 24k gold plate.Well you know i picked the black silver but i was very impressed with the gold plate,very nice thick core but could take alot of air if needed,it could rock is what i mean.Borgs have there own vibe going on,what it is i dont know but its nice.Oh did i mention they can rock also,you got a big beefy tenor sound then you can just fly up the gears.The gold plate also looked fantastic.I just seen the shop here has also just sold the pink gold plate model so the gold is the only borg left for sale in the UK,a sad state of affairs for us Brit's.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,938 Posts
What mouthpiece(s) did you use for your trials?

That "too dark" tone is easily changed with appropriate choice of mouthpiece and player concept. I find the Borgani Jubilee to be a very flexible horn in that regard.

Enjoy your horn.

·
(formerly borganiboy)
5,566 Posts
I also think the borgs are very flexible,i love horns that can just take off with you when you want to go that way.Great jazz horn but also a cheeky wailer when you push it.I found my serie II abit dull,each to there own.I just got back now from a long day gigging,jazz solo gig today and then a full on funtion band (section) tonight and the borg coped great in both settings.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts