1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
240 Posts
Tenor 1 is the SBA...my guess. I do prefer that one.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,397 Posts
Okay, Nordling, spill the beans!

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
Tadaaa! Tenor 1=sa80 Tenor 2=SBA
Roger,

Nice tone on each! My experience with listening to good players on the vintage Selmers (SBA's, Mark VI's) is that to my ears the tone is more singing, subtony than modern Selmers (or other modern horns). I can't help but wonder if there is a subconcious way we play newer horns and just "expect" the vintaage horns to have a more velvety tone so we subconsciously do that? Hence my guess that the SBA was Tenor 2.

Except for my Ref 36, I get that subtone-like vibe out of it that I can't seem to pull out of my Yamaha unlacquered 82Z. I have a SA80 (original series) bari.

-KC

·
Administrator
17,248 Posts

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Roger,

Nice tone on each! My experience with listening to good players on the vintage Selmers (SBA's, Mark VI's) is that to my ears the tone is more singing, subtony than modern Selmers (or other modern horns). I can't help but wonder if there is a subconcious way we play newer horns and just "expect" the vintaage horns to have a more velvety tone so we subconsciously do that? Hence my guess that the SBA was Tenor 2.

Except for my Ref 36, I get that subtone-like vibe out of it that I can't seem to pull out of my Yamaha unlacquered 82Z. I have a SA80 (original series) bari.

-KC
To me the SBA has a more complex sound or should I say "dirty" sound. The SA80 has more sharp edges and a cleaner approach. Slightly brighter too. I prefer the blowing feel of the SA80 as it's has an even response and back pressure. The SBA vary between upper and lower register.

Skickat från min Phone 2 via Tapatalk

·
Registered
240 Posts
To me the SBA has a more complex sound or should I say "dirty" sound. The SA80 has more sharp edges and a cleaner approach. Slightly brighter too. I prefer the blowing feel of the SA80 as it's has an even response and back pressure. The SBA vary between upper and lower register.
Reading your words and listening again to your soundclips...yes, I can hear the differences.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
240 Posts
Tenor 2 = SBA

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I agree.
But Roger, it seems you begin to get used to the SA 80: comparing to post #1, I think your sound on the SA 80 is now more interesting.
Yeah. Since the first clip I put the leak light down the SA80 and cured a few leaks and adjusted key heights so it's speaking better now.

Skickat från min Phone 2 via Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
Both tenors sound practically the same to my ears in the new comparison.
My guess is:
Tenor 1 new = SA80
Tenor 2 new = SBA

1 - 20 of 22 Posts