Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick question for those who are familiar with the SBA tenor.
How are the pearls held in place, as in how easy are they to replace at home?

Are they merely glued in place, or are they crimped in.

Thanks in advance.

·
Banned
1,868 Posts
In BID (before interwebz days) people used to build up replacements by mixing things in epoxy or other types of "glues." That's still workable, and the options for working with epoxy are a lot cooler now than they were then. But if you go wrong, the epoxy will be stuck in the same way the pearls are, as per griff's observation.

A workable DIY, if your pearl is bad enough that you want to break it out:

- get replacement that is slightly larger, sand it down (by whatever intelligent means you come up with) to where it will just manage to snap in.

- If your pearl holder isn't on top of a cup (if you can get to the bottom of it without going through a cup, drill a small (like 1/32 or 3/64") hole in the bottom of the holder so that, if you need to push the replacement touch out later, you can.

- use either legit (Ferree's) contact cement or Weldwood or Wedgewood or whatever the Home Depot brand is as an adhesive -- this will soften with heat if you need it to -- and both snap and adhere the replacement pearl into place; wipe off excess flow from the hole you drilled earlier and any around the pearl as necessary.

- tape off the brass area around the pearl and sand to taste finishing with something finer than 1000 grit.

·
Banned
1,868 Posts
There are such things available -- see Ferree's catalog, "pearl dies," I think they're under....

I don't have one personally. Have never missed not having one. But that doesn't mean I shouldn't change my ways. It's rare that "snap in, snap out" isn't sufficient. Most modern horns' pearls are not held in as above. Most are in primarily with adhesive, or really only with adhesive. Where you're snapping in with an unseen gap, that gap can be filled with adhesive (unseen).

This could end up being a "gotcha" moment, someone like me confessing to not having a tool like this, but seriously: if it had ever come up that I needed one right away, I'd have halted the job to order one and then continued.

·
Banned
1,868 Posts
Probably it's an ethical necessity to add this to this thread, since it's a DIY-er question, originally.

If you're sanding "pearls," you need to know what the material you're sanding is, and whether it is safe -- or even possible -- to sand that material and under what circumstances.

Real mother-of-pearl has some noteworthy health warnings associated with sanding it, and some modern pearls are made of glass, or other potentially hazardous materials. You should really know what you're working with any time you make anything into a friable dust, or vapor, that you could inhale into your lungs, or have land in your eyes, or on your skin.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I don't have one personally. Have never missed not having one.
This is why I asked. I haven't got one myself and I'm not sure if I would have use for one. I think it would be a nice tool to have in some cases. But definitely not for everyday use.
It wasn't so expensive as I would've thought. H34 pearl holder closing dies (y)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.