Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at 2 different years and designds of key guards on Selmer SBA tenors.

I noticed some horns have a 'tandem' guard ring while others have individual guards for the 2 lower registry keys.
What is the rule for this..which years have which?
Thx

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
If you mean the bell keys...'B' and 'Bb', then in general, 'earlier' horns would have the separate keyguards (BA style) and 'later' horns would have the single keyguard (Mark VI style). I can't give you a year that the change happened but I 'think' it was made in conjunction with a change in the actual location of these 2 toneholes. At some point in time these tonhles were moved closer to the lip of the bell to help with intonation issues (sharpness) of the lower notes. The actual bell section also was made a 'bit' longer at this time, I believe...

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes,..That's exactly what I was questioning..those to lower B and Bb keys...interesting.
In so far as the differences between the changes in the years..tone holes,belletc.., is there a preferable desire between 'old' SBA and later SBA overall?

Thx
Jim

·
Registered
591 Posts
Lately I've been paying close attention to the SBAs bell keys and key guards. Up until late 37xxx serials have the key guards attached to the rim of bell end, thus placing the toneholes further away from the bell rim. They all had the seperate key guards. The transition seems to have been made around 45xxx to 47xxx the transition has been made.
These are two examples showcasing the transition.
http://www.usahorn.com/archive/Selm...ced-Action-Tenor-Saxophone-Lacquer-456XX.html
http://www.kbsax.com/horns.html Check out the 47xxx horn

Hope this helps. I'm no expert though it's just something I've been looking at while searching for a new horn. (Yes it's the 47xxx)

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
FWIW...I play a 29XXX BA Tenor and I have struggled with this horn for low note intonation for as long as I have owned it...now 31 years !!! If I were to be able to buy another Selmer Tenor Sax (I can't justify the money) and knowing what I know now, I would look for a 'later' SBA with the 'longer' bell, or a Mark VI...

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My 2 bits..I own both and play both and lean towards my 'earlier' girl...for me..it even rides above my very early MKVI.
For what it's worth..I'm sure there are numerous opinions out there..

·
Administrator
17,276 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts