Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I've bought a tenor Selmer SA80 1982 with a neck which looks "younger" than the saxophone.

View attachment 250140
View attachment 250142

There is still almost unscratched lacquer on the tenon, the lacquer looks also a bit lighter and there is no blue background on the logo.
Does anybody know whether the fully golden logo means any non-standard type of the neck, e.g. Gold ?

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,878 Posts
I don’t know exactly what you want to know. Especially because you only show the neck. Many replace necks and there is nothing extraordinary about a SA 80 neck. In your case the only extraordinary thing is the lack of blue color is the S.
This may mean that the neck has been relacquered at some point ( which would aslo explain the difference in color since generally the lacquer isn’t completely clear) , but It isn’t in itself wrong or suspicious.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do not suspect anything negative, just wondering why it looks fresh and there is no blue background.
My guess is that the original one's been replace to whatever reason.
I've not thought about relacquering, which might be the case, although the sax's not been relacquered.
Thanks for the hint Milandro!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,441 Posts
Most likely a replacement neck. Sometimes these don't get the blue paint. Did you glue the green felt bumper under the octave key? That's a good trick to help prevent the key from denting the neck on the sides. Now that you mention it, the neck kinda does look like a gold-plating - that would be pretty cool, getting a gold-plated neck on a used horn, and it also would explain the lack of blue in the logo.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, I've not touched it, the bamper does help but a rubber one would be better.
I could not find in the Internet any "official" photo without blue background but couple of "private".
I've just checked the surface with a multimeter, it is lacquered.
It is also unusual that the tenon covered by the lacquer too.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Looks like the original neck, but relacquered. If you like the sound, don't worry about it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts