Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to get a rough idea on value of a Selmer SA80 Series I Tenor. Great shape. #367xxx Any estimates out there?

·
Banned
2,844 Posts
$2200-3200. Depending on condition. It would have to be mint to get the 3200. Very good condition can be found at 2500 but I would not call it common.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
41,445 Posts
Despite the fact that 10 or more years ago things might have been cheaper in the NL it is impossible to find a Selmer tenor in good playing state for less than €2000 in a private sale ( and it will look very battered indeed!) and very difficult to find it for less than €2750 in a shop. To assume that you would pay as much as a new Yamaha student's model ( € 1800) is very optimistic and in my experience unrealistic.

The SA 80 II ( different but not by much ) costs new €5250...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,321 Posts
The lowest I've seen a working SA80 I tenor go for on ebay is around $1800.
This is what I purchased mine for on ebay many years ago from what turned out to be a SOTW member. It looked great from the pics and description, but needed a $1000 overhaul. A perfect example of why it is better to buy local if possible or from a vintage saxophone retailer and pay a bit more. Live and learn. These are great, undervalued, saxophones and I have been very happy with mine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts