Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Loking at the Selmer 52 Firebird Limited Edition. Does anyone have any information on the horn.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
Maybe I should research this before replying, but . . . Is it a Serie II or is it a Firebird? The reason I ask is because Selmer originally introduced the Ref 54 alto, then started doing some special engravings on the Ref 54 and calling those after the specific engraving they did on the Ref 54, not the Serie II. The Serie II and the Ref 54 with various fancy engravings are two different saxophones, at least as far as I recall. I could be wrong.

If the Firebird you are asking about is merely a Ref 54 with fancy engraving, then I can comment. I own a Ref 54 and it is a terrific alto saxophone. I doubt if any special engraving does anything to improve or hinder the basic instrument. You are on the right track if you want that one. DAVE

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe I should research this before replying, but . . . Is it a Serie II or is it a Firebird? The reason I ask is because Selmer originally introduced the Ref 54 alto, then started doing some special engravings on the Ref 54 and calling those after the specific engraving they did on the Ref 54, not the Serie II. The Serie II and the Ref 54 with various fancy engravings are two different saxophones, at least as far as I recall. I could be wrong.

If the Firebird you are asking about is merely a Ref 54 with fancy engraving, then I can comment. I own a Ref 54 and it is a terrific alto saxophone. I doubt if any special engraving does anything to improve or hinder the basic instrument. You are on the right track if you want that one. DAVE

Dave thanks for the info. It is listed as a Series II 52 Firebird. This is the 4th horn in a series of 5 "bird" designs in honor of Chrlie "Bird" Parker. Selmer's web site states that they can be either Series II or III. It came out in 2009 I think. The next is supposed to be a Dragon Bird due out this year.

Thanks.:space3::line3:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,933 Posts
The Serie II alto is my favorite of the modern Selmers.

If you want to pay extra for the engraving, that's your call.

I prefer modern horns sans engraving - engraving on horns from the '30s is a whole 'nother thing.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dr. G, thanks. What do you or anyone think a new version of this horn should cost?

Thanks again

·
32,933 Posts

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2008-2017
2,234 Posts
I bought one of those, Serie II Firebird, an Alto, at Kesslermusic. Great horn. It is waiting until my little daughter grows up. Series II is my favourite horn and I have played all models available.

It is a beautiful horn, the Firebird, this is.

JI

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey everybody, thanks for the info it doesn't look like Kessler has any. I am thinking of getting the horn to put away until I become a better player or as a collectors piece.

·
32,933 Posts
Did you call or write Kessler? They may be able to find one for you.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dr. G. Thanks I am looking at 2 now1 for 4600 and 1 for 4200. Kessler is now advertising the 5th horn and last of the series the Dragon Bird with no price yet.

·
14,268 Posts
Congrats. Now, I'm curious about the differences between the Ref 54 alto models and the Serie II? Not the marketing hype from Selmer, but does anyone know the REAL differences? I tried a Serie III when I bought my Ref 54 - WAY too bright for my tastes, but I wasn't able to compare a Serie II. I also owned a MKVI a while back but gave it to my son. It wasn't anything like the Ref 54, so I'm leery of the marketing hype. DAVE

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Dave, sorry I can't help this is my first Selmer. Never played one before only Conn altos and a Martin tenor. Years ago when I played in a band the other alto was a Mk vi and it sounded very good the horn was from the early 60's and the player was better than me.

·
14,268 Posts
Thanks. I've owned a MKVI and a BA ... Still have a Cigar Cutter and the Ref 54. The CG is the best of the bunch. Just curious about the newer models other than the Ref 54. DAVE

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2008-2017
2,234 Posts
Dave:

I play a Series II, Alto, because it fits my taste a lot better than anything else. I have the Firebird, Series II, also, new, in a case for my little girl when she grows up and have a gift from her Father. Also, I have a Reference, a Hummingbird, for my older daugther, for the same purpose.

I have tried them. Also I have tried a Series III and I have a Mark VI.

The Series II has the tone I like the best. It is more, lets say, "flavourous". As I understand, it is made from yellow brass. Reference has more copper in its alloy. I do not find it dark in any way, the Series II, this is. I play with a Jumbo Java, so the combination gives me a sound I like a lot.

The Reference is a magnificent horn, so is the Mark VI, but the Series II has a more solid sound and the altissimo register makes a difference for me. More consistent on the Series II.

The Series III was not of my liking. I sold it. I did not like the sound or the auxiliar mechanisms for the C#. I like to adjust the tuning by myself. That's me.

I have used Solid Sterling Silver necks on every sax of the described ones and the best neck for my taste is the Series II neck for the Seris II body, not as some like to use the Series III neck on the Series II body (did it, too).

Also, some Reference do not have the F# key, which for me is an essential tool. The Hummingbird has it. The Flamingo started to be produced with, or without it, if I remember correctly.

That's my experience.

JI

1 - 18 of 18 Posts