Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,409 Posts
Yes but the octave key wont reach the spigot so a little tweaking will be needed. FWIW a Ref54 or Serie 3 neck would be a better option. in fairness Yamaha's Custom necks are great but avoid early G1 necks as these can be a bit 'wide' on the octaves. I've used a G3 -now superseded -on my purple logo tenor 62 for a number of years previously on a 61 with great results.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
40,474 Posts
By the way the SA 80 II don’t necessarily have the neck marked II so this may be also a SA 80 II

They are between €200 and €300 very top end. This one being closer to €200.

Some folks use it on Yamaha but what is the point?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
2,007 Posts
It will fit on a YTS-62... it may ruin a little bit the intonation of the upper register.

The Series II tenor neck is known to have a huge bore compared to other Selmer tenor necks... which is not ideal on a Yamaha body.
Yamaha had a large bore neck (the Custom G1 which came with the 82Z-I)... as soon as they came out with the 82Z-II they replaced it with the Custom V1, which has a slight smaller bore.

It's more common to see people using a Yamaha neck on a Selmer Series I/II tenor, instead of the opposite.

With 300€ you can almost buy a new Series II Jubilee tenor neck (which is a bit better of the older Series II tenor necks... in terms of pitch tendency).

·
40,474 Posts
Hi Milandro,

A different sound ,no ?
I don’t think that there are many and essential differences between SA 80 and SA80II.

The necks are, as I understand, the same

·
40,474 Posts
there will be differences but whether there will be improvements remains to be seen

1 - 8 of 8 Posts