Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My classical saxophone mouthpiece setup (on alto) has been Selmer S90 190 for quite some time now. I have liked it for the most part, but I occasionally feel that it can get a little too bright. I have seen that some other classical players like John Sampen & Taimur Sullivan play on it, but the 180 facing. Any info on these pieces would be helpful thanks. I like Selmer mouthpieces better for legit playing, so please nothing for vandoren mouthpieces. :)

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
S80 / S90 refers to model #, not facing size.

Here is the a page from their catalog explaining the difference:

SelmerS80S90.jpg

* Tip opening measurements are in millimeters.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I am aware, used to play on S80 C* for a really long time. I am looking for differences in only the S90 model. Facings 170, 180, and 190. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I see that now.

Only difference is the 190 is a slightly more open tip. This makes for the use of a slightly softer reeds. Or not. This becomes a personal matter as some use hard reeds on very open mpcs, and some use soft reeds on very closed mpcs. I don't think moving to a different tip opening is going to darken your sound. This is something that must be internalized and comes with hours blowing the saxophone.

It takes a while to develop your personal sound. Just keep at it, maybe try a different type of reed. I think V12s might be on the brighter side of the tonal spectrum.

When I was studying classical saxophone in college as a performance major, I had great success producing a nice dark and centered tone with a Rousseau NC4, w/ a horseshoe chamber.

Also the Selmer Larry Teal is very nice mpc, w/ a round chamber.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,133 Posts
The brightness shouldn't be much different between any of the facings. Hard to imagine an S-90 being too bright!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts