Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a basic understanding of the physical differences between these mouthpieces but would like to find out how they compare regarding resistance and tone.

I guess we could use the S80 as a reference as that is what I currently play.

Thanks.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,116 Posts
The S-90 is darker sounding but plays like the S-80. The biggest problem with the 90 is that they only go up to about a 200 model which is similar to a C**. With the 80, you can choose more open tips. If you need a S-90 (190=C*), let me know as I have them cheap. For classical I think the 90 is great but overall, I like the S-80 better.

·
Distinguished SOTW Tech/Forum Contributor 2007
984 Posts
do you mean the vintage solosist or the current productions soloists?

the s80 and s90 are similar but i find them primarily suited to classical playing. on modern horns i find the s90 to be brighter, though i like it on vintage horns. i also tend to like the low note response better on the S90 then the S80 but that could be because i played one for 10 years and its more what i am used to.

as bruce noted the s90's don't come in any larger facings this can be a real problem on say tenor where someone might want a more open piece then a c star.

i have tried a coupld of the new production soloists and outside of throwing them at someone one didn't like when they weren't looking i dont' think they are very good for too much. the response is terrible and they play nothing like the vintage pieces which i like quite a bit.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great, thanks for the replies.

Yeah, I was reffering to the current production soloists particularly.

Thanks Bruce, I will definitely keep your S-90's in mind!

·
Registered
26 Posts
The S-90 is darker sounding but plays like the S-80. The biggest problem with the 90 is that they only go up to about a 200 model which is similar to a C**. With the 80, you can choose more open tips. If you need a S-90 (190=C*), let me know as I have them cheap. For classical I think the 90 is great but overall, I like the S-80 better.
really? how cheap? ;)

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I'd played a few new soloists in D and E tips and didn't like any of them. They felt stuffy and didn't have anything special in their sound. I recently bought an old soloist-style piece in C* to reface and it already plays great! Obviously a little closed, but the sound is dark, focused and very nice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts