Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For whatever reasons, the Selmer S80 mouthpieces work for me, on soprano, alto and tenor. I've also found that the older S80s play better (usually) than the new ones, so this discussion is not about the new S80s, but only the older ones, say previous to 1980. They usually have some brown coloring for that vintage flair.... :)

I do some basic refacing to even them up and I've noticed in these "not new" S80s a distinct facing difference, not at the tip, but further down. The older vintage S80s have noticeably less clearance about halfway to the base of the window. I have a "scroll style" that is like that and another old S80. But the "not so old" S80s have more clearance in that area. The difference using the Theo Wanne glass scale is 40 vs. 48.

I have more comparison work to do but it seems the really old S80s with less clearance in the mid span require a slightly harder reed even tho the tip opening is the same - a different facing curve. Are there any online references for facing curves, what they should be for different sounds or playability, etc.? Right now I face even my cheapo plastic mps to the S80 facing, and it works. But I'd like to expand my horizons tho and learn more about facing profiles......and eventually learning to tailor my mouthpieces for sound (chamber, side rails, baffle, etc.).

Thanks!

·
Registered
469 Posts
I've refaced a few of these in order to get a larger tip opening than the common C*. I just used the basic radial curve shape which seems to work OK. I did not notice anything special about the stock facings except that they were not particularly even to start with.

·
Registered
8,975 Posts
Selmer stock facings tend to be medium length but elliptical. Short and radial would play similar. As you open them up, it is good to lengthen the curve and lower the resistance in them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts