Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Selmer Super Action Series II baritone sax, in really good condition, bought it a little less than two years ago. It plays wonderfully and I used it mucho during my jazz band career in high school, but now I'm going to college as major in classical flute and I simply don't have time for my bari anymore. And I need money for stuff like books, and eating. =) hahah

I'm just wondering how much I could get for the beast, to see if its worth time and emotion (hah) to sell it. I don't know how quickly price values go down...I still consider it to be like new, but It has a few tiny dings in the bell area, but I could probably get that taken out.

Can anyone give me a rough estimate of what I could/should sell it for, and the best place to do it (ex. online like ebay, or at a music store or something).

Thanks very much!

Charley

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,001 Posts
Have you considered taking it to UNT to sell there? I should expect that to be a good market for a top notch horn such as yours.

USAHorn has listed a used Serie II bari for $5795, SaxQuest has a new one for $6900. I'd think that $5k would be a solid price for a private sale. That was also the price of a used Mk VI low A bari as well as a like-new Yani B992 just a couple years ago (both sold privately).

·
Registered
552 Posts
I also think you should take it with you but , you probably could get $4-5000 for it if it is in good condition .Ebay is a good ( and fast ) place to sell

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, seeing as I start school in two weeks, I definitely will be taking it with me. I just don't want to pay to rent a locker for it when I won't be using it (hah, it will make a nice lamp post in my dorm room). I thought about possibly renting it out to a jazz major or something, cause I'd love to see my horn get put to use, but there are a lotta factors involved that I'm not sure I'm willing to risk (plus, I think my parents would kill me). Anyway, thanks for the advice! I'm sure there will be some offers there...and it is a good horn! I'm sad to part with it, but what use is owning a nice horn when you can't pay for college? hahah.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
830 Posts
They actually have lockers for instruments there? I have to keep mine in my dorm!

Good luck selling it, and you should be able to get around $4000 for it, at least.

·
Registered
642 Posts
If you decide to sell it, let me know, too. I'm in town and wouldn't mind taking it off your hands if it played well :)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, I think I'mma put it up for sale soon. Might get a new case for it first (the present one is a little beat up) and get it a check up with the horn doctor to make sure its in tiptop condition beforehand. =)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts