Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what people thought of these mouthpieces. Been playing on the S-80 C* for quite some time, but it's not getting the job done anymore. I do enjoy the S-90 190 on alto a lot, so am considering it for soprano as well. Which opening though?

Thanks!

·
Registered
328 Posts
Hey,
I have been using the Selmer S80 C* forever on Soprano... And I bought a Selmer S90 170 for something different.
the 170 is just a bit more closed than the C* I think..
The S90 cleaned up my tone, just making it a little purer. This isn't really what I was after, so I am back on the C*.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Just wondering what people thought of these mouthpieces. Been playing on the S-80 C* for quite some time, but it's not getting the job done anymore. I do enjoy the S-90 190 on alto a lot, so am considering it for soprano as well. Which opening though?

Thanks!
The 190 is like a C* on an S80 alto mouthpiece. That's what you should use if the C* feels comfortable on the S80. You have to try it. You may like it more than the S80, but you may not.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,327 Posts
I've always been a big tip-opening soprano player. When the Super Session line came out, I found them to be much better than the comparable S-80 tip-openings.

Recently, I've been trying the closer-tips (scroll-shank C*, S-80 D, E, and Super Session E). Those of course require stronger reeds and the SS-E has proven to be good for me. I suspect the round chamber opening of the Super Session may have something to do with it being a better player than the S-80 series. My old scroll shank C* has a round chamber opening and it plays better (again, for me) than does the S-80 C*. DAVE

1 - 5 of 5 Posts