Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey

I tried both these mouthpieces and decided to settle for the vandoren. I found it produced a more powerful sound and produced a tone with slightly more edge. Since i am only relatively new to saxophone i was wondering does does anyone agree or which they think is better?
I currently use a Rico royal 2.5 reed but want to try the vandoren traditional #2

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
edwardmcardle said:
Hey I tried both these mouthpieces and decided to settle for the vandoren.... i was wondering does does anyone agree or which they think is better?
Whoah, hey, stop right there! Don't you dare do this! :a-run: :yikes!:

You played both and you chose the one that works best for you. If you are unsure about your decision asking a question like this on this forum is the one sure-fire way to destroy whatever satisfaction you might have had about your decision. :shock:

You made (for you) the RIGHT decision!

(feel better now?)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers

Thanks gary, am more than happy with it!! got a sound im really happy with and just like how it feels.
Oh and sorry for the the double post-fairly obvious im bit new here!!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
4,370 Posts
I think they are pretty comparable mpcs. I myself usually play an A28 V5......

·
Registered
238 Posts
My main mouthpiece is an AL3, but I have an A28, A27, Yani HR 5, and C* waiting in the wings in case anything happens to the AL3. While they are all very similar, they all have their own distinctive flavor. I find the V5 series pieces to have more edge than the others. For me, the A28 has too much edge and the C*, while less edgy, is still a little harder sounding the AL3. I haven't done too much with the A27, but I noticed it was darker than the A28 (it also required softer reeds). The Yani HR 5 is the newest of the bunch (it came with my brand new A992) and I haven't made much of a decision about that one. I did notice it was much brighter in the upper register than the other pieces. For me, the AL3 has the ease of response and purity of tone that I look for in my pieces.

·
27,650 Posts
Well, I should've guessed it.

To restate my post - Edward is not asking for a recommendation, he is asking if he did the right thing.
edwardmcardle said:
Since i am only relatively new to saxophone i was wondering does does anyone agree or which they think is better?
This is opening Panora's box if he's not sure. The mpc he chose is a good mpc and will serve him well. He needs to put his hand on the plowshare and not look back. Otherwise, he's going to have doubts about his decision and get caught up in a what-if game or worse even, chasing the mouthpieceitis tail. IMO it's more fruitful not to bombard him with more information but to simply tell him, yes you make a good decison, now go practice on it for the next two years.

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist/Official SOTW Guru
3,764 Posts
What Gary said,

Some time back, I switched from a Jody Jazz Classic to a Selmer Soloist on alto. Hated it at first. Stuffy, dark, trouble getting the altissimo.

Now, I can get a good, big sound out of it and although I still have realtrouble with the altissimo, I accept that it's me, not the mouthpiece. You've got a good piece, so don't look back. Don't second guess yourself. Just get playing and learn the ins and outs of your mouthpiece.

·
4,370 Posts
Yes, you made a good decision. Now go and practice on it for the next two years!:salute:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
now for the next two years!!

dont worry i am very happy with the mouth piece, it gets better the more i play it!! thanks for the advise lads!!

·
27,650 Posts
Joe Jazz said:
Yes, you made a good decision. Now go and practice on it for the next two years! :salute:
:sign5: :notworth:

·
4,370 Posts
Let's hope your floor is clean Gary, as you seem to spend quite a bit of time down there. I'm always covered in dog hair myself......... ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts