Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok listen up.

i have a selmer reference 54 in perfect condition (rose gold laquor). does anyone think its possible i could find someone who would trade for a VI. just curious. and if there is someone out there. im in the new york area. thank you.

·
Premium Member
4,849 Posts
Hmmmm, that might be tough. But if you want vintage, I'd trade you my vintage matte finish Reference 54 for yours. :) That is, assuming yours is a tenor.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well the reference was built off of the six and ive played on plenty of sixes. they sound so close to each other. and the sound is great btw.

·
Banned
3,781 Posts
I'm sorry if I was sounded like I was trying to infer that Seixes didn't sound good, I love them very musch. I Think that selmers are more noticeable, when they are say, a balanced action, or a radio model, or a cigar cutter. You see, so many people out there play mark VI's that nobody even knows what they really sound like any more! At least in my opinion. I love the keywork on them though. I think that they are great to play classical pieces on, and jazz, but moreso Classical.

·
Researcher, Teacher and Horn Revitalizer, Forum Co
3,510 Posts
ChuBerry47 said:
I like the sixes, but they really don't have an extremely distinct sound, like say a Keilwerth.
Did someone say Keilwerth .. i've got a .Superba 1 FS ... but it might be a stretch to swap a 54 for a VI. you might find someone with a VI that needs a complete overhaul to swap with. The $$ of VIs just seem to high.
you could get a VII + cash probably though, and alot of ppl like the VII altos (though they are not VIs - keywork, et all)

·
Distinguished SOTW member
4,673 Posts
dinosaurjones said:
but what if i throw in exta money?
Then maybe.....but it would have to be a couple of thousand.
I doubt you could do this on SOTW.

·
Premium Member
4,849 Posts
Jolle, you're such a pragmatist. ;)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/ Forum Contributor 2011
2,578 Posts
Have a friend make a recording playing your mouthpiece/reed setup on your Reference 54 and a Mk VI without telling you which is which. Take a listen and then see if you want to blow $1000 or more extra on an old horn with pitch issues and worn keywork.... (I bet you won't.)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
well the thing is....i feel like its not the same as the mark vi as they said it would be. and ive been playing a couple of friends VI s at school and im just drawn that they are completely better.

·
Registered
291 Posts
awholley said:
Have a friend make a recording playing your mouthpiece/reed setup on your Reference 54 and a Mk VI without telling you which is which. Take a listen and then see if you want to blow $1000 or more extra on an old horn with pitch issues and worn keywork.... (I bet you won't.)
All VIs are not the same. I spent yesterday playing horns at Tenor Madness. No fewer than 12 VIs, and each and every one had its own feel and response. A few sounded almost identical, but none played the same as any other. A recording is a very limited way of evaluating a horn. Much of the deal is how resistant the horn is, how it FEELS while your playing it, what it gives you to work with, how easily you can do what you want with it. And in some cases, how it enables you to do things you didn't know you knew how to do.

For what it's worth, I ended up trading my 139xxx for a 91xxx, and throwing in more than a few thousand to boot. But my old VI was kind of a dog and the 91 is really special.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts