Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
SOTW Sleuth
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone confirm that Selmer made a silver plated Reference 54 tenor neck? I know they made one in sterling silver which I can find plenty of information on, but I can not find anything on a silver plated version.

Thank you!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
8,035 Posts
Can anyone confirm that Selmer made a silver plated Reference 54 tenor neck? I know they made one in sterling silver which I can find plenty of information on, but I can not find anything on a silver plated version.

Thank you!
How about telling us whats really going on. Never know, might be able to help.

·
SOTW Sleuth
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I purchased a used one that was advertised as a silver plated version for my Reference several weeks back. I wanted to experiment a little. I am considering selling it as I have moved the sax on and have a different tenor now. I want to make sure I know what I'm selling. The neck looks identical to all the pictures of the sterling version. It is noticeably heavier than the stock neck, so I'm now wondering if it may be sterling instead of plated. It sounds pretty nice on my Silver 82Z, so I may keep it.

·
13,343 Posts
I know Ive never seen one. If you payed a plated price instead of a sterling price you may turn quite the profit. Those are expensive necks in sterling....or just play it and enjoy.

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
I know Ive never seen one. If you payed a plated price instead of a sterling price you may turn quite the profit. Those are expensive necks in sterling....or just play it and enjoy.
Did this model ever come in silver plate? If so, then at least those necks were silver plated.

Is there any evidence that the Reference 54 neck is any different than any other current production selmer tenor neck?

If you want to know whether you have a solid silver or plated neck, shine a bright light down inside it and check the interior. Plating won't plate to the inside (except for wrapping up inside a couple of inches) whereas solid silver will be silver colored on the interior surface.

Another possibility is to weigh it and then determine how much water it displaces. Might not be that easy to determine the water displacement, though.

Usually, objects made of sterling say "Sterling" on them. It would be a bit surprising if this one didn't. But it's not required or anything.

·
13,343 Posts
Different necks have different bends to them. How this contributes to tone I cant say.

I never saw a silver reference 54...doesnt mean one doesnt exist.

I had a sterling series 3 neck once. It was not stamped sterling..at least not in my memory.

·
Registered
248 Posts
The third picture looks like solid silver to me, with a brass tenon. I had one of these for my Ref 54 at one point and it looked the same. For me it didn’t play any different to the stock brass neck though.
All the best,
Tony

·
SOTW Sleuth
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I noticed those too shortly after I purchased it. The stock 54 did not have those. So...Reference 36 possibly?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts