Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, Im pretty new to Selmers and have no experience dealing with them. I stumbled across this ad and it is completely unbelievable!

Im pretty sure this is fake just because of the price, But I did also notice using Selmers post about fake Saxophones here: http://www.selmer.fr/media/FAQ/counterfeit_panpipes.pdf

That this particular Ref54 has a different font for the name "Selmer"
There arent too many pictures unfortunately, but im sure I can ask for more.

Here is the ad:
https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/pml/msg/5616114143.html

Thanks for your help!

Edit: I noticed the seller also posted these ads:
http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/pml/msg/5616115152.html
http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/pml/msg/5616299751.html

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008
1,555 Posts
Re: Possible fake Reference 54 Tenor?

It is. You can tell easily, also from these low-res pictures, by looking the Eb/C keys.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

What exactly about the Eb/C keys give it away? Im trying to learn the differences.

Thank you.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008
1,555 Posts

Just compare with official photos of the Reference 54 (Kesslermusic has very good photos). You will see the shape is completely different.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,429 Posts

Obviously the linked Craigslist ad for a Ref 54 soprano was bogus - there is no such thing.

Thanks for linking that article comparing authentic-to-counterfeit Selmers. I've seen that one before but it was a good refresher. Trademark infringments really wind my stem. DAVE

·
Registered
5,569 Posts

Also look at the "SELMER" logo on the bell. It's usually possible to distinguish the real thing from a cheap etching like the one on this horn.

The cheap-looking, non-Selmer case is another giveaway. Sellers don't always offer saxes in their factory cases, but if they provide a substitute, they usually say so.

Notice that the alto "Reference 54" comes with a polishing cloth that says, "JUPITER"!

·
Forum Contributor 2008-2017
668 Posts

Also, the fake alto has no distictive "S" on the octave key. And, under the Jupiter cleaning cloth, perchance do I see white gloves?

·
Banned
577 Posts

I like the dual arms on the Alto keys! I emailed the dude and asked where he got the tenor. Should be fun to see his response. I really hate scammers.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,329 Posts

The alto neck has no "S" on it.

·
Registered
5,569 Posts

Yes, the tenor is a better fake than the alto. The alto is a very crude counterfeit. But perhaps the Yanagiselmer WO54 is the horn to have!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

haha yeah, I knew this was too good to be true. im tempted to still try out the horn :p

Tell us what he says!

·
Registered
735 Posts
Yes, fake, through and through! Also, I don't believe the Seller is unaware of that. Each of the Saxes should be reported to Craigslist as Fake.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
41,440 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,992 Posts
Administrator note:

Andre is correct. Cross posting of topics violates the forum rules. I have merged the superfluous threads together into one as a result.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
41,440 Posts
:bluewink2:

·
Registered
146 Posts
How could you tell from the pictures?
Hello,
just look to the pictures of the offered horn and the pics you can see on the Selmer Web-Page but some differences in a nutshell:
- no logo on the neck
- shape of Eb/C Key
- dual arms on the keywork
- shape of the high F key
- shape of the F# thriller key (right hand)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts