1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I am an owner of a Ref 54 Bird.
It is a good horn, I think.
Yesterday, I got my new Mark VI clone (a "vintage" horn without high F# and unlaquered) which a friend of mine, who owns a music store, wants me to play.
It is a very good player, it has some problems of mechanical noise and I am not sure about durability, but as it is almost for free, that is ok. It has a very good jazz sound.
At this opportunity I took a silver plated 82z with me, which absolutely fascinated me.
What a quality in mechanics. How easy to articulate, to play fast.
But when compared to my Selmer, there is a "lack" of "deepness", which I am not sure if is necessary. The Yamaha is razor sharp, and super fast, while playing the Selmer you think you play a tenor, as it opens and sounds super fat. (At least I have the impression playing it. But playing it, you don't have a feeling of the tone has a "sharp edge", it is very "mellow" (maybe this has to do with the material, it has a very dark colour, almost like honey...)
On the other hand, it does not have the "stability" the 82z has.
It is really hard to describe with my limited English vocabulary :cry:
What do you think, how would a good Mark VI "behave"?
I never had the chance to play a real good one for a longer time.
Thank you, Mugger.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
29,511 Posts
Yesterday, I got my new Mark VI clone (a "vintage" horn without high F# and unlaquered) which a friend of mine, who owns a music store, wants me to play.
Whatis a MKVI clone? ie , what make is it? I've only heard of Hanson attempting this.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,
I could post a picture in the evening, it is labeled by the name of the local music store.
It has a high f with a small diameter and no high f#.
It sounds very good.
Greetings

1 - 3 of 3 Posts