Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

My sax teacher lent me his silver plated minty SBA and I have my VI (131xxx) and my friend came over and had his SA80 II and we lined them all up: VI, SBA, SA80 II. Such an amazing sight to see like $15000 worth in horns right there. Any way, we stared for 5 minutes and then jammed and blew the s**t out of the horns. Basically a fun day for me.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
462 Posts
SaxColossusJR said:
Hey guys,

My sax teacher lent me his silver plated minty SBA and I have my VI (131xxx) and my friend came over and had his SA80 II and we lined them all up: VI, SBA, SA80 II. Such an amazing sight to see like $15000 worth in horns right there. Any way, we stared for 5 minutes and then jammed and blew the s**t out of the horns. Basically a fun day for me.
All tenors I presume.
OK, give us the 1, 2, 3..and why. Did you do any neck swapping?
Cheers, Dave

·
Forum Contributor 2011, SOTW's pedantic pet rodent
8,322 Posts
SaxColossusJR said:
Hey guys,

Hmmmm... yes, but did you sound any good? :twisted: ;)

Seriously: Yes, it must have been a most enjoyable day. Well done. :)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hey Rooty - after seeing the Tories spoiling the view in your part of the world on telly today and the other two lots over the past weeks, my vote's FIRMLY with the Selmer Party!

(Apologies to non-UK compadres who won't have a clue what I'm talking about).

·
Forum Contributor 2011, SOTW's pedantic pet rodent
8,322 Posts
johnb said:
Hey Rooty - after seeing the Tories spoiling the view in your part of the world on telly today and the other two lots over the past weeks, my vote's FIRMLY with the Selmer Party!
Very good point. But my vote would be for the Buescher party, personally. I bet that David Cameron plays an Odyssey. ;)

·
Distinguished SOTW member
4,673 Posts
beezer said:
Did you do any neck swapping?
An amazing thing happens when you exchange necks between a SBA and a Mark VI,they end up playing and sounding like the other horn.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Wow. I'm glad y'all had fun.

Your teacher is very . . . trusting.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/MKVII fanatic/Forum Cont
1,211 Posts
now that should be interesting

·
Forum Contributor 2008/Distinguished SOTW Member
3,295 Posts
You should send them out to me and I'll swap the necks around for ya. BTW - you don't need them back before I retire do you?

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Personally, I prefered the SBA more for jazz, a sweeter, softer sound with my rubber piece, and the VI was louder, with my guardala.

Overall, I like the tone of the SBA better.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,939 Posts
That's because jazz is sweet and soft. I get it.

Mark VIs are better, then, for rock and roll??? ;)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,960 Posts
i have a large vintage collection but my best friend has over 80! between us we have almost every selmer in size and model. its a lot of fun for shure to have a selmer a thon. my favs-his silver sba alto and his radio inproved tenor. his fav is my mint mk6 low a bari

·
Registered
680 Posts
super20dan said:
.. my best friend has over 80!..
Makes me feel completely reasonable.
Any more and the neighbor will start smelling all the old cases and call saxophone protective services.
Maybe I should be afraid to ask, how many mouthpieces?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,337 Posts
daigle65 said:
An amazing thing happens when you exchange necks between a SBA and a Mark VI,they end up playing and sounding like the other horn.
Yupper - i've posted several times about this lesser know tidbit. I've done this mostly on alto, but it applies some to the tenors, too.

These days, is quite a bit cheaper to snag an old neck(or buy an after market one) and shove it on a Series II or some such horn...instant classic for a lot less.

·
Researcher, Teacher and Horn Revitalizer, Forum Co
3,505 Posts
super20dan said:
yes be afraid to ask -i have at least 150.
that's quite a nest egg for retirement

btw, where do you live and when are you not home :D

maybe we should have a jam fest at your and your friends house for those of us that believe all horns sound different and material does matter :cool:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts