Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, Selmer Paris has a few different models of mouthpieces and I would like to get some feedback on their real diffrences besides just what Selmer has on its website. What I want to know is which ones can really be used for jazz because I was told that some people just get a larger tip opening with the standard S80 and it works for jazz. Please help me define each model: S80, S90, Super Session, and the newer Selmer Soloist and how it compares with the old Soloist. Thanks!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
For what saxophone . . . soprano, alto, tenor?

Any mouthpiece that you play well can be used for jazz or whatever. The S-80s have a horseshoe-shaped chamber opening, the Super Sessions and Soloists have a round chamber opening. I don't know about the S90 models. That is about the only cosmetic differences, except for the way Selmer finishes of the shanks. The S-80s have a tapered shank, the SS have a sharp-edged shank and the Soloists have a scroll-shank design.

I use an S-80 C* for my altos and I play jazz with it (original jazz with no amplification - and it is very strong but only when I use a Fibracell reed on it). For sopranos, I used to favor the Super Sessions but recently switched to Morgan Vintage in more open tips.

On soprano when I play them, the Super Session has a much bigger sound than my S-80s with comparable tip-openings (again, the most open models with J facings). On altos, my Soloist F is more focused than my Super Session F, the SS-F being very warm and spread compared to other pieces (exactly the opposite of sopranos) and neither compares to the C*. You may obtain completely different results when you play these pieces. You just need to find some place where they have a variety and test them all for yourself. DAVE

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,033 Posts
If you aren't comfortable on a large tip, try something around the opening you are currently using at first. I don't use really open tips and think the Super Session is the most powerful of the bunch. I like the SS in a D facing and for Jazz you may want to go even more. For the S-80s, I think an E will be a good choice. Whatever you pick, make sure you have some reeds in different strengths as more open mouthpieces usually require a softer reed. Try before you buy with a return policy if you are paying top dollar. I don't care for the Soloists vintage or new but just my opinion. I used them in the 60s and 70s but went to the S-80 for about 30 years and keep a SS too.
I assume you are talking alto.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts