Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,
Just looking at these baris makes my eyes water. They are absolutely gorgeous. The true question is with all that beauty is there sound just as good? Anyone have any experience? Possibly comparing Series 3 to Series 2 or other Selmer Baris currently on the market? Recordings would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
956 Posts
Played a couple at the Selmer show in NY a few months ago. Really great horns. I don't think there are any other new ones out there being made better than the Series 3 bari.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2012
3,228 Posts
I and a bunch of other people compared this with the SII a few times. I'd say it was about 50/50 people preferring the SII or the SIII.
Interesting. Do you know the pros and contras of each of them ?

·
Registered
476 Posts
I played a couple and thought they played much better than the series II. They had a more open sound and nowhere near as tubby as the series II. They're the first modern baritone that I would play.

·
Premium Member
3,302 Posts
I sold my (great) SII to buy the SIII. Ergonomics are the best of any bari that I've played, without question. There is a focus and center to the upper register that is unique to the SIII. Pitch is stellar, and response is fantastic through a full 4-octave range. The floor peg system is great, esp. if you get both the regular and long (standing) peg. I had a chance to go to Elkhart, so I had the opportunity to choose from among 10, and to swap out necks until I found what was, for me, the ideal horn/neck match. Just completed a recording project that included a work for baritone and piano, and was very pleased with the outcome.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,109 Posts
These look great horns. I saw the Scottish Quartet 'Brass Jaw' playing on Sunday http://www.brassjaw.co.uk/ and their bari player, Allon Beauvoisin, had a great sound on his Serie III.

I have a Serie III Jubilee on its way to me now and I'm really looking forward to putting it through its paces and comparing it to my Serie II.

Rhys

·
Registered
382 Posts
Having only had the opportunity to play a single Jubilee Series III versus a Series II, I personally preferred the Series II. I found it to be more robust to my ears, but it's a very personal thing. Both felt excellent under my fingers.

-John

·
Registered
2 Posts
I ordered my silver Series III Bari in nov of 2011 and received in Jan 2012. I have to say, it is beautiful to play. Warm Sound and depending on setup it can have a focus or spread tone. Although lots of $$$, I am pleased with my investment.

·
2,109 Posts
Anyone had any trouble with the single bell brace holding up?

Thanks,
Brett
No problem with the bell brace on mine. I am absolutely loving the horn and play it in preference to the Serie II, a MkVI and a Conn 12M.

Rhys

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
2,023 Posts
Series II bari sounds more like a bari... but as usual it has that odd pitch tendency and tends to be pretty nasal and picky.

Series III bari sounds more like a "big tenor"... but the intonation has been improved, it's even through the all register... and this is big plus for a low A baritone.
It projects less than the Series II... but you can push it more, with less struggling.
According to the Selmer website, the Jubilees have just higher toneholes and a different color for the lacquer. No other differences.

I can't speak for Selmer consistency, but the only Series III bari I saw had major problems in the octave key mechanism because of too larga pad cup, which beated again a post... this the instrument as it arrived from the italian importer.
All the pads of the left hand had leaks.
The instrument has minor unlacquering problems... just after a couple of weeks of use.

Despite these issues (they didn't fix under warranty... obviously), the instrument was a good player, expecially for the intonation and the keywork (as for Series III altos and tenors... personally I don't like the Series III soprano)!

·
Registered
7 Posts
The series III arrived today and will be with my horn tech over the weekend. I will pick it up Monday and give it a whirl and compare with the Series II next week. The selling point will be the tone. I hear that the series III has a thinner sound but we will see when played together. Any thoughts from anyone out there on which has a warmer tone for classical playing. The feel of the key placement is awesome by the way! Thanks!

·
2,294 Posts
I have an SII bari - the only bari I've ever owned. Bought it new in the very early 90's. I've never thought that the key work was particularly comfortable and the intonation is difficult in the usual places, but the sound is great! It also records particularly well. I've tried some others over the years (Yami's Yani's, an old Conn or two) and the only thing that has beaten it for sound has been an exceptional low A MKVI from the early 60's.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
alto: 82Zii/Medusa/Supreme, tenor: Medusa, bari: b-901, sop, sc-990
7,553 Posts
The series III arrived today… I will pick it up Monday and give it a whirl and compare with the Series II next week.…
Some of us will be very interested in seeing your review.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts