Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Researcher, Teacher and Horn Revitalizer, Forum Co
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
not sure where to put this but an article about the Selmer Paris IT operations. Not much, just that they replaced their "archaic" IT operations with some thing new and that was over a year ago.

http://www.orsyp.com/news_details.asp?param=806

sorry if it's a repeat from the past ....

·
Registered
414 Posts
Personally, I would have rather not seen them do this. I enjoyed imagining the sax factory as a primitive, workshop environment where everyone is going at it with their hands. Now I am left to think of it as a automated process with machines running a lot of the operations. Is progress really progress? After all, weren't saxes made better before this new technology took over?

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
The reference is a little ambiguous, but I think it probably refers solely to production control (i.e. scheduling and stock control) rather than replacing manual operations in manufacture. I would be interested in having confirmation of this ... or otherwise.

·
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i was under the impression it only replaced their more "manual" tracking aqnd production processes which was mostly paper based.

But from what i understand Selmer tried to automate some processing back in the mid 1970s . i just can't recall which model that was .....

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,337 Posts
this is just very basic manufacturing scheduling & process control stuff.

the days are long gone when the 'elves'
sat at their workbenches, working with
little hammers and tools to 'handcraft'
-your- next sax.

·
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
elfs ?

they used elfs ?

did they import them from the North Pole ?

I still find it amazing watching the videos especially of making the bell or neck even though all the keywork, etc are stamped & automated up the elfs' wahzoo

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Elves tinkling with their bells, perhaps, but how are the gremlins doing with the computers?:doubt:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Selmer have traditionally employed retired hospital worker elves from the UK, where we still have an excellent National Elf Service. Incidentally Pinnman - nice pair of TTs!

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
John, I hope they are not employing NHS computer designers! Not necessarily English of course as the work has been out-sourced to a foreign company.

Yes, the TTs are great. The sop (from 1928) has perfect intonation; the alto pretty good; looks great though as it is gold plated ... and in good nick.

·
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
johnb said:
Selmer have traditionally employed retired hospital worker elves from the UK, where we still have an excellent National Elf Service. Incidentally Pinnman - nice pair of TTs!
the UK is weird .. i think using elfs is illegal in the US.

nice pair of what ?? is that talk allowed on this board?

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Play on words - UK usage only. Hence also, perhaps, the different spelling of the plural of elf. I must confess, though, that I had missed the double entendre - funny folk in Yorkshire!

·
Registered
63 Posts
"Two nations separated by a common language".

According to Wikipedia, both plurals for elf are acceptable but "elves" is the accepted one over here.

And REALLY, as if a fine upstanding Englishman such as I would risk sullying his reputation by attempting something so cheap and tawdry as double meaning...

Thread well and truly hijacked - apologies Steve.

Had the VII alto serviced couple of weeks ago by the way and the techie adjusted the table keys to give a similar result to yours. Big improvement. AND he felt the altissimo/3rd octave key was - to his surprise- beneficial. Still not heard of another VII with the feature.

·
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
johnb said:
Thread well and truly hijacked - apologies Steve.
From Selmer to elves ..... a spectacular hijack if you ask me considering we are nowhere near christmas =-p

johnb said:
Had the VII alto serviced couple of weeks ago by the way and the techie adjusted the table keys to give a similar result to yours. Big improvement. AND he felt the altissimo/3rd octave key was - to his surprise- beneficial. Still not heard of another VII with the feature.
it's amazing how a few millimeters improves your hand position making it so much easier to play. If you ever want to get rid of your horn .. i'd love to have one with the other octave key, surely a 'one-off' experiment from the Selmer elves.

·
Registered
63 Posts
stevesklar said:
it's amazing how a few millimeters improves your hand position...
And I'M accused of double entendre!

Maybe we'll visit some day Steve but I think we're bonded until the first of us shuffles off this mortal coil (may not be too long - half century coming up in four weeks - think the VII'll be around after me!)

However I would be very interested to know of a similar VII anywhere.

Regards to all - John.

·
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
johnb said:
Maybe we'll visit some day Steve but I think we're bonded until the first of us shuffles off this mortal coil (may not be too long - half century coming up in four weeks - think the VII'll be around after me!)
just make sure i'm in your will for the VII ....... I'll be 10 yrs after you though ...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts