Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm considering buying this mouthpiece.

I noticed that there are a relatively large number of sellers in Japan selling them on eBay and Amazon for a lot less than other places. If they were manufactured in Japan, this could be an explanation, but they're not.

So, I wonder if they are authentic. Seems like there can't be that big a market to counterfeiting worthwhile.

Any thoughts.

If I purchase, I'll get it from a known source.

·
Registered
435 Posts

·
TOTM administrator
Tenor: Eastman 52nd St, Alto: P. Mauriat 67RDK, Soprano: Eastern Music Curvy
7,212 Posts
I just bought one. It's a very superb design and sound. I'm very pleased with it, but I didn't hunt around for prices! I paid $190... Wish I hadnt after seeing that Thomann website! Thanks @saxmsy for making me feel foolish ;). As to what appears to be your original question, I doubt there are fakes of this piece coming from Japan. Just price variance by region which ended up taking some of my money lol.

and to the concept, the design and sound are amazing! Warm, round sound with a much more complexity than other Selmer pieces. However, It is very closed opening (.041). I do think it plays more open (maybe near .050, and I believe this is due to the angle of the piece as it goes onto the neck.) It also has very little projection due to the opening and minimal baffle. I am currently planning to resolve these issues for my own playing, but I think this should be a gold standard for soprano player recommendations

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,616 Posts
I agree about the Concept on soprano - Selmer did a great job with this model. I have two of them and they play far better than other small-tipped pieces, including Selmer's versions like the S-80 C* and Airflow C*, Vandoren SL3, and Yamaha 4C, that I have - at least for me.

I've gone from open soprano pieces like the SS-J and Morgan Vintage and Jazz 7's, down to the Concept and S-80 C* and D, and now I'm settling on the Yanagisawa 5 (that came with my SC902) and the Drake SOS 6. Those changes occurred over the course of several years and with my aging and changing playing environments, though. DAVE

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was all set to order from Thomann, but Selmer won't allow them to ship to the US.

"We are quite disappointed with Selmer for preventing us from shipping to your country of choice."

·
Registered
435 Posts
I was all set to order from Thomann, but Selmer won't allow them to ship to the US.

"We are quite disappointed with Selmer for preventing us from shipping to your country of choice."
That is really interesting 😂😂.

Maybe try this on Amazon. $170+ Tax. Price not as good as Thomann but it is still better than the prevailing $250 everywhere. It seems to be sold by a Japanese company but since it is shipped from Amazon, you should be covered by the benefits of prime member (if you have one) and it can be delivered on Friday.

Amazon.com: Henri Selmer Paris Soprano Saxophone Mouthpiece Concept : Musical Instruments

·
Registered
435 Posts
I just bought one. It's a very superb design and sound. I'm very pleased with it, but I didn't hunt around for prices! I paid $190... Wish I hadnt after seeing that Thomann website! Thanks @saxmsy for making me feel foolish ;). As to what appears to be your original question, I doubt there are fakes of this piece coming from Japan. Just price variance by region which ended up taking some of my money lol.

and to the concept, the design and sound are amazing! Warm, round sound with a much more complexity than other Selmer pieces. However, It is very closed opening (.041). I do think it plays more open (maybe near .050, and I believe this is due to the angle of the piece as it goes onto the neck.) It also has very little projection due to the opening and minimal baffle. I am currently planning to resolve these issues for my own playing, but I think this should be a gold standard for soprano player recommendations
Based on what OP just reported, it looks like that that price offered by Thomann cannot work in US. So $190 (if include tax) is actually a good price for it :).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was planning to buy from Amazon until I started wondering about counterfeits. I have no way of telling if it's authentic or not. However, I'll take the chance.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I agree about the Concept on soprano - Selmer did a great job with this model. I have two of them and they play far better than other small-tipped pieces, including Selmer's versions like the S-80 C* and Airflow C*, Vandoren SL3, and Yamaha 4C, that I have - at least for me.

I've gone from open soprano pieces like the SS-J and Morgan Vintage and Jazz 7's, down to the Concept and S-80 C* and D, and now I'm settling on the Yanagisawa 5 (that came with my SC902) and the Drake SOS 6. Those changes occurred over the course of several years and with my aging and changing playing environments, though. DAVE
I agree. That is the best soprano mouthpiece I've played so far. l play every style with it - classical and jazz. It's quite a reed-friendly mouthpiece also - I switch blue box, V21 and V16 on a daily basis without any problem.

I like the Concept on alto also.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I was planning to buy from Amazon until I started wondering about counterfeits. I have no way of telling if it's authentic or not. However, I'll take the chance.
Amazon has a very good return policy (30 days) for Prime and if you find it suspicious you can return it Amazon to get full refund. Honestly I think the chance that this one is counterfeit is really low; but it can be a B-stock (open box) as someone returned it. Also, since the shipping only takes about two days, the mouthpiece is definitely in some warehouse in the US, so it is not directly ordered/shipped from Japan.

·
Registered
VI Soprano, Searchlight Alto, TH&C Tenor
1,615 Posts
I really like the Concept. Precision and control. Theo Wanne said they have a “modern build” with a “modern sound”. Definitely a Selmer, but with a voice of its own.

As soon as I heard about them how many years ago I bought it through Amazon from a Japanese distributor. Lucky? I haven’t read any horror stories around here about bogus ones. But there are definitely reputable dealers on line who will restock for $10 or whatever if you have any doubts. And you can contact them prior to ordering.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Yesterday I received the Eastrock soprano I ordered on Amazon. It was very hard/frustrating to get a sound out of it with the stock mouthpiece. The Concept mouthpiece arrived today. What a positive difference. As a clarinetist with no sax experience, the Concept made a big difference.

The Eastrock octave key spring is detached, and I'm using a rubber band in place of the spring. I'll be returning it and looking for a better low priced soprano to go with the concept. I don't want to sacrifice quality for price though.

I can't tell if the mouthpiece is authentic. Interestingly, it has the letters WJ inside the mouthpiece. The box has lots of information, and looks authentic.

Update: The seller on Amazon is World Iroha Japan. Maybe the WJ inside the mouthpiece is their initials. However, an Amazon reviewer said that they purchased two from the same seller, and on had the initials AF and the other OT.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Yesterday I received the Eastrock soprano I ordered on Amazon. It was very hard/frustrating to get a sound out of it with the stock mouthpiece. The Concept mouthpiece arrived today. What a positive difference. As a clarinetist with no sax experience, the Concept made a big difference.

The Eastrock octave key spring is detached, and I'm using a rubber band in place of the spring. I'll be returning it and looking for a better low priced soprano to go with the concept. I don't want to sacrifice quality for price though.
I am glad that the Selmer Concept from Amazon is good. I guess this is the best price you can get in the States. Please return that Eastrock Amazon sax ASAP! There is no way that a $300 Amazon soprano will play in tune. I know that someone had luck buying an Amazon sax that play well. But that’s like buying a lottery that purely depends on luck. Or at least you know how to do some tune up or repair on sax so that you can turn an Amazon sax in playable condition.

Did you pick soprano sax as your first sax because of your experience at clarinet? You will get more chance getting a good alto at low price and having a easier beginning journey of sax. If you absolutely want a soprano sax, do some study here as there are many posts on picking an a budget soprano. An used good Taiwanese soprano may be worthy to check if the budget is tight.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I am glad that the Selmer Concept from Amazon is good. I guess this is the best price you can get in the States. Please return that Eastrock Amazon sax ASAP! There is no way that a $300 Amazon soprano will play in tune. I know that someone had luck buying an Amazon sax that play well. But that’s like buying a lottery that purely depends on luck. Or at least you know how to do some tune up or repair on sax so that you can turn an Amazon sax in playable condition.

Did you pick soprano sax as your first sax because of your experience at clarinet? You will get more chance getting a good alto at low price and having a easier beginning journey of sax. If you absolutely want a soprano sax, do some study here as there are many posts on picking an a budget soprano. An used good Taiwanese soprano may be worthy to check if the budget is tight.
It's going back on Monday. I'm considering the Kessler Custom.

I picked soprano because of my clarinet experience. I want a B flat instrument and tenor would be overwhelming. There would be more choices with a straight, but I have a shoulder problem and want to avoid weight on my thumb which radiates to the shoulder.

BTW, I edited my previous post adding the last paragraph on authenticity.

·
Registered
435 Posts
It's going back on Monday. I'm considering the Kessler Custom.

I picked soprano because of my clarinet experience. I want a B flat instrument and tenor would be overwhelming. There would be more choices with a straight, but I have a shoulder problem and want to avoid weight on my thumb which radiates to the shoulder.

BTW, I edited my previous post adding the last paragraph on authenticity.
Yes. Kessler basic model might be the best choice if you buy new. I never try the Kessler though. But since you mentioned your shoulder/thumb issue, please be aware that the one piece straight neck soprano almost gives the worse pressure on the right thumb. Even if you use neck strap, the right thumb can still hurt! A curved neck may alleviate the issue, but it looks like Kessler custom is one piece model.

·
TOTM administrator
Tenor: Eastman 52nd St, Alto: P. Mauriat 67RDK, Soprano: Eastern Music Curvy
7,212 Posts

I can't tell if the mouthpiece is authentic. Interestingly, it has the letters WJ inside the mouthpiece. The box has lots of information, and looks authentic.
I just shipped mine out or I'd check if any lettering was inside. Sounds like it's working well, so I wouldn't fret!

As to the Sop a Kessler is a great option. However My current main sop and go to cheap recommendation for soprano are the Eastern Music curved sopranos. I love it. I preferred it over some very high end modern straight Yamaha's (82z and 875ex). The sound from my little curvy was much better IMO, less shrill and more core.

What reeds do you Concept players favor?
I am using BSS reeds on all Sop pieces with phenomenal results!

·
Registered
Vito Leblanc Alto -Spectrum mp, Eastar soprano- 4c , Eastrock tenor
84 Posts
I agree, the thumb pressure is fatiguing on a soprano and playing it is a bit of work too. My tenor is so much easier to play. With the over the shoulder kind of strap it's pretty easy on my bad neck also. As a cheap alternative to a concept the 6c plays much easier than a 4c to me. I would like to try the concept though.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,616 Posts
I play Vandoren reeds, mostly (ZZ and Java's) in 2-strength. I use them on all of my soprano mouthpieces from the Concept to a Drake SOS 6. I also like Alexander Superials. I also have a few Legeres and like to play them at home, but for playing in public, I prefer cane - more presence for me.

I've played two straight Kesslers side by side at one of his Las Vegas stores a few years ago. Very impressive horns but I already had a few sopranos, so I didn't feel the need to buy another straight one. I don't use a neck strap on sopranos, straight or curved (I have both shapes). DAVE

1 - 20 of 22 Posts