Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello gang, I have a Balanced Action I dont know much about. I want to sell it but I dont want to get ripped off. Can you guys help me price it and perhaps someone might be interested in it. It looks pretty original to me, I think it has never been repadded (it needs it). The keys are noisy but it still plays. But it definitely needs some work. The body is very straight and it doesn't have any dents. The lacquer looks about 85% there and the engraving is almost identical to a Mark VI. Here is where I think it could be a treasure... the serial on it is 22335. I believe it is from the mid 30s. Correct me if I am wrong. I will try to put some pictures up. Any feed back would help. I see these horns on ebay from $4000 - $12000. I dont know where to price it.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Hard to say. It's a very early BA and the lacquer seems to be a bit light for that era - so maybe it's a relacquer (which cut the price). The photos are too blurry to get a close-up view (and they are mirror-inverted). If it needs a clomplete overhaul I would say it's worth between 2.500 - 4.000 $.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,974 Posts
I tried selling one of a similar vintage, original lacquer 75% and in complete playing shape..... no issues to speak of. The best it would do on eBay auction was $2250, significantly below the reserve I wanted.....and it was relisted twice, too.

Expect something like that. The race to the bottom continues, unabated......

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,118 Posts
The ones you may see from 4 to 12K are tenors, not altos.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts