Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of selling my Mark VI Alto (#1621xx, 1968).

It's quite unusual in a couple of ways. I bought it when I was in Paris and was able to bring it into the US personally without any damage or disfigurement whatsoever to the horn.

It also has no engraving on the bell except for the Selmer logo and identifying marks. I've heard that this is common on horns assembled and retailed in France.

It has always played beautifully, with a bright tone that cuts through guitar noise quite well. Just as an example.

Can anyone tell me if this horn would be worth any more or less than a standard, Elkhart Mark VI?

Thanx for any help.

Tim

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,452 Posts
The value will depend for the most part on condition. Some buyers will pay a little more for a 'French' MK VI.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
I just bought a 160K VI alto last month and it's the best alto I've ever played. If yours plays anything like mine you shouldn't have a problem getting some good $$ for it. Although some people do tend to freak out if there's no American engraving on it for whatever reason.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,136 Posts
I don't think the value changes. Some prefer the engraving (I do), some don't. Of course, if yours is silver plated, they are worth more.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts