Sax on the Web Forum banner
41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Are you researching Selmers only ? I also have a Gautrot-Marquet Baritone, which I won't restore, and is for a dispaly only.
The Gautrot-Marquet alliance existed for about 10 years between 1865 and 1875. The horn looks really old.
Obelix, I am currently concentrating on Selmer horns. While I have an interest in other brands, my work on Selmer will take all my available time for the next decade or two

·
Registered
735 Posts
Hi Brenton, thanks for sharing those numbers. Your bari is from April 1928 and was originally destined for the French market. I would love to see some photos of your horn.Your horn was originally silver plated with the gold-wash bell. As to your theory, based on my research I must respectfully disagree. I would place the Modele 26 Baritone production at roughly 80 horns, and only about 10% have the full set of trill keys. The earliest example I have seen is in the 59xx range, from early 1927.

For the Altos, the Modele 26 production appears to be around 1700, with about 15% having the trill keys and the earliest examples in the 51xx range, from late 1926.
The earliest example with the trill keys I have seen yet is on a C-Melody in the 40xx range.

With regard to the body numbers, the earliest example I have yet seen is body #1322, which is on a horn with a 74xx serial number from January 1928.
I would be very interested to hear from anyone with a 6k-7k horn, to see any earlier examples can be found.
(Pics of my Bari sent - thanks for your reply). Interesting that those trill keys may well have begun on their Modele 22 C-Melody horns - BUT, did those earliest ones also include a front F? Did ANY Modele 22 come with Front F? I see you have started a new thread on Modele 22 (and Serie 1922 and Modele 1922) today. Very good. Lots to discover about those. Just how many of them were only keyed down to low B; or had the double octave...

·
Registered
723 Posts
Brenton, yes, the Front F key was available as an option from the earliest examples I have seen.
The 40xx Modele 22 C-Melody mentioned above does have the front F.
It seems that each of the four optional trill keys could be ordered independently, as I have seen virtually every permutation of one or more of them on a horn.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Obelix, your Largebore Alto was originally shipped from Selmer Paris in April 1930 and was sold to a store in Serbia.
It was produced with four options: three trill keys and a gold-wash in the bell.
There should be a second serial number under the low D key on the body.
Would you mind sharing this number? (it should be in the 5,000 range and may be followed by a letter)
Hi Douglas,

The number you asked for : 5514

Cheers

41 - 46 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.