7,136 Posts
What is that; a Balanced action?

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,889 Posts

·
Registered
5,498 Posts
I always wonder whether the padless would work with today's elastomers rather than the little leather rings. Some real soft polyurethane or neoprene it seems would work well. How come no one's ever (to my knowledge) tried to re-create this?

·
38,889 Posts
I think there was a thread some time ago about someone doing this. Of course the Codera system was already a system inspired to this

back on track: you could use some sort of thin plastic or rubber derivative laminate and glue it to the underside of the "cups" (the flat discs that closes the holes) The one padless horn I've serviced I used U rings and a rubberized self adehesive sheet that was .8mm thick and covered perfectly the space needed to align the cups with the somewhat shorter than needed square U ring profile I found. Plus: it was quieter after using some sort of "cushion" on both sides (padless horns are really noisy!)
you can put the silicone sealant into a syringe and use a #18G needle with the point grouded to achieve a smooth bead all around the place where the seal would go.

As a matter of fact, you could prepare everything and cut wedges to place each key at the exact height, then smear a couple of drops of oil under each key (the flat part that will come in contact with the seal) then put the silicone bead with the syringe and then clamp the key over the bead and let it cure. The oil will prevent the silicone from sticking to the key.
As to the original post, get some neoprene, a compass, and cut yourself some rings. There you have it.
Randall, I was thinking about glueing soft foam, it comes in 8"x11"sheets, onto thin leather and thin cutting out rings, or thick leather shoe strings glued in the ring slot. Neither seems right yet so I haven't done anything so far.

smf
the padless have a mechanism and layout that's Buescher, wich is designed for work under a much "squishy" enviroment than the relatively thin and "dry" rubber ring (wich also has a greater contact area than a regular pad)

The rim has a thickness of about 1/8" and contacts with a metal disc. Even from the factory, I doubt the flatness of a brass disc hitting a hard rubber seal can be dependable in the long term for sealing.

so given that the mechanism is not specifically designed for operating padless, and the thick and hard seal (compared to a pad, even the hardest pad there is out there) I'd say that using any elastomer may improve the seal and action feel on those horns.

Now if we would be talking elastomers, I'd say that the materials I see replacing some of the stuff we use aren't elastomers... I can see polypropylene and polyethylene having a greater influence in our trade. I'm using a synt felt made out of woven polypropylene fibers, and it's just excellent. Of course the key in our trade would be integrating (mixing and matching) new and old technologies. I still use leather and assemble the pad as an "old school" pad, but using synt felt. When you're replacing materials, I find important to keep certain design features mostly untouched, so you deal just with replacing the materials and not with the added stress of putting a new material in a way the mechanism wasn't designed to take the replacement part in the first place.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Yeah, Matt Stohrer did a video on one, and there's been one up for sale on reverb for months it seem. A neat piece of history.

·
38,889 Posts
But is also known as the galloping horn , a piece of history because it was there but it didn’t catch on. Great for collectors.

·
Registered
227 Posts
But is also known as the galloping horn , a piece of history because it was there but it didn’t catch on. Great for collectors.
Exactly. I have one. It’s a beauty. Really dark honey lacquer. Very reminiscent of hooves thundering at a gallop. :)

It seems like a set of silicone or urethane rings could make it a real player.

·
Registered
5,498 Posts
It's just a bit strange to me that no one since, has tried the same concept but with modern materials. I have toyed with the idea of converting an el-cheapo but have never seriously considered it.

·
38,889 Posts
Exactly. I have one. It’s a beauty. Really dark honey lacquer. Very reminiscent of hooves thundering at a gallop. :)

It seems like a set of silicone or urethane rings could make it a real player.
Yes and that’s why I fished out from the forgotten corner the posts above, you may want to follow that advise, especially Juan Caino knows his onions with Bueschers ( which this is )

It's just a bit strange to me that no one since, has tried the same concept but with modern materials. I have toyed with the idea of converting an el-cheapo but have never seriously considered it.

Wolf Codera did something like that (the rings are on the blades) and failed too.

·
Registered
5,498 Posts
What I remember about the Codera setup was that it was real complicated. I am thinking of something pretty much exactly like the Selmer padless only instead of leather rings, use modern, low durometer elastomers.

Who knows, maybe someday I'll buy another cheap Mexi-Conn sax and give it a try.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
I recall that I had the opportunity to look at one of these years ago. I did not have a mouthpiece so I could not play it. The horn was quite noisy. Fingering a scale was like hitting temple blocks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts