Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could anyone please fill me in on any info regarding this horns history...not how it was built:mrgreen:, just how old it may be and what it is worth. It is, or at least has, a USA stamp on the horn. Selmer Omega alto saxophone MG288 ser. # 1283150. Cannot find any reference to the ser # on the net. The individual selling is asking 1K CDN, from what I can gather from conversations here on SOTW is that it is a student horn and I'm seeing mixed reviews. Thanks!!

·
Banned
2,844 Posts
It is not a professional horn. The good ones are in the 82x,xxx serial range. As a general rule on a USA Selmer, if it doesn't have those first two numbers pass. Lots of great vintage altos for that money.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
8,275 Posts
Actually, when they changed the name to A100 and T110, and later going into the 7-digit serial number range, those are still the good horns. However, I have no idea what a 'MG288' is. I would have to see some pictures of the horn in question.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I've owned 7 or 8 models 162/100, and still have two of them I think; a couple of model 110, and two MG288. The models all feel a little different, except the 162 and 100 are pretty much the same sax with different engraving and lacquer tone. I found the MG288 nearly the same as the 110.

You won't be playing them side-by-side and have to make the tough decisions over what feel you like. But the action felt quick and precise on all models that I owned. Intonation on all was fine. A lot of that stuff has to do with set-up, anyway.

With a decent mouthpiece you won't be at all disappointed with the MG288. And at 1,000 bucks CA, which is around $750 US, or say bargaining that down to maybe 900 CA, it's not a losing deal. (I sold a late model 162 in very good shape for $850 US two years ago, and an early model 100 in pristine condition for a little over $1,300 US last year.) Just be absolutely sure it's in excellent cosmetic shape and needs no work. The newer Selmer USA horns are difficult to re-sell if they're dinged, badly scratched up from shirt buttons, or have evidence of repairs.

And I think you're in the late-1990s or early 2000s with the MG. I don't remember if they over-lapped the 110 years. The "professional or great intermediate" debate will continue.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've owned 7 or 8 models 162/100, and still have two of them I think; a couple of model 110, and two MG288. The models all feel a little different, except the 162 and 100 are pretty much the same sax with different engraving and lacquer tone. I found the MG288 nearly the same as the 110.

You won't be playing them side-by-side and have to make the tough decisions over what feel you like. But the action felt quick and precise on all models that I owned. Intonation on all was fine. A lot of that stuff has to do with set-up, anyway.

With a decent mouthpiece you won't be at all disappointed with the MG288. And at 1,000 bucks CA, which is around $750 US, or say bargaining that down to maybe 900 CA, it's not a losing deal. (I sold a late model 162 in very good shape for $850 US two years ago, and an early model 100 in pristine condition for a little over $1,300 US last year.) Just be absolutely sure it's in excellent cosmetic shape and needs no work. The newer Selmer USA horns are difficult to re-sell if they're dinged, badly scratched up from shirt buttons, or have evidence of repairs.

And I think you're in the late-1990s or early 2000s with the MG. I don't remember if they over-lapped the 110 years. The "professional or great intermediate" debate will continue.
This is what the seller said in response to one of my questions..."Its a Selmer Omega, not sure how old as it was given to me, comes with reeds, strap, case. Yes is a very small ding at the base (a bit of wear & tear), no it has never been serviced since I've had it Motor vehicle Wind instrument Musical instrument Metal Classic there was just the one image, not sure if that will halp you in it's value or not. If not, thanks anyway.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Well, check out other MG288 models. Some come up on Reverb now and then for $600-$800 US. And there's near always a guitar shop that lists a horn there at a low price; not their specialty and no one comes into their store looking to buy a sax.

You just have to be comfortable buying without playing. As I'm typing I'm thinking I ran across an MG288 somewhere on the net for about 400 bucks a short while ago. Wasn't Craigslist; maybe a store with a website. Do a search "MG288."

1 - 9 of 9 Posts