Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist / Forum Contributor 2
4,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever tried a Selmer Paris neck on a Keilwerth tenor? I picked up a stencil that has a non-original neck and am looking for options.

I have an American Selmer neck (looks to be a lot like a late VI neck) that I'll try when the horn arrives but wondered if anyone had tried anything.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
1,020 Posts
never tried... but Keilwerth=big bore; Selmer=not.
FYI a fellow SOTWer told me his JK's neck is interchangeable with his Beaugnier/Vito (makes sense, Beaugnier is big bore); my Beaugnier/Vito takes a Kohlert neck with no intonation problems either.
I'd say you try and score a cheap Kohlert stencil (eg Edgware); that should fit your JK.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Saxus Envious Curmudgeon
3,861 Posts
Hurling, I tried it and it wasn't even close....:cry:

·
4,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Randall,

I knew I could count on you for having tried it.

I may have a neck on the way from another forum member. Working out the details.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008
4,046 Posts
The neck tenons on Selmer necks is way too small for a JK tenor. I tried several of my necks to see if any would fit my SX90 and none came close.

You'd have to get the tenon really stretched out, but I have seen Ernie Watts with a Selmer neck on his JK, the only problem is once you've stretched it I doubt it's going back.

Why not buy a JK neck.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Saxus Envious Curmudgeon
3,861 Posts
Hurling, one idea, although pricey, would be to get a Stephan Boesken neck. He makes wonderful necks for both JK and Selmers. I got his nickle silver neck for my straight tenor and I really love it.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Oleg necks

Sax Gordon Beadle uses a Selmer neck on his Couf Superba 1. I believe he has both a MkVI and a MkVII neck, which Ernie Sola fitted for him. Since you indicate that your horn is a stencil, I'm assuming it is an older "Tone King" type stencil and thus more like the Couf than the current SX-90 series.

I have to put in a plug for Oleg necks, however. On the recommendation of HonkBopSax, I got an Oleg neck from Hollis & Germann for my Couf S1 (Honk uses one as well and may want to chime in here). H&G special ordered it with a larger tenon receiver designed for Keilwerth (and presumably other large bore) made horns. This neck is a great match for an S1 and seems to correct some of the "accoustic flaws" in it's design such as flat palm keys (althought mine weren't bad anyway). Notably, I'm finding that the sound is somewhat more focused and somewhat brighter, but without losing the tonal mass characteristic of Keilwerth made horns. Before using the Oleg neck, my S1 was so dark and spread that I had to use a higher baffled, smaller chamber mouthpiece or the sound was dark to the point of being muddy. With the Oleg neck, I'm back to being able to use Link or Link-type pieces and very happy about it.

At about $600.00, the neck is quite a bit cheaper than Boesken or Golger necks too. Finally, I have to put in a plug for Jim Germann, who is great to deal with.

·
4,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I found a modern Keilwerth neck and I'm going to try the American Selmer neck I have on hand. I may even see if my VI neck works (but I won't modify it for the purpose).

Intonation reports will be coming as soon as possible.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts