Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So,
I'm looking at 2 mouthpieces.
Both are the same brand, but different models.
does anyone know the difference between the
Selmer S80 C*
and the
Selmer S80 D
mouthpieces?

The D was recommended highly by someone on SOTW, and the C* was recomended strongly by my band teacher.

What are the differences in construction and in tonal capabilities (classical vs. Jazz)?

·
Registered
494 Posts
D is a slightly bigger tip.
If u r getting a C* for classical playing, I'd recommend the Vandoren AL3 Optimum. it's a better and more consistent facing.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,831 Posts
The Selmer S80 is the model name. The D and C* are the facing sizes.

D is more "open" than a C*. A C** is halfway in between those two.

Are you playing Alto, Tenor, or Bari? I'll assume Alto. A C* with a good stiff reed ( 3 1/2 or 4, depending on brand), or a D with a Med reed (2 1/2 to 3) would be similar, but with different playing techniques to hone them in.

Personally, I RARELY recommend any S80. There are much better mouthpieces for the money that are much more consistent. I say rarely, because I did put a student on an S80 C* (Alto) and 2 1/2 reed (he was a beginner w/barely a year of playing under him) and his tone and intonation improved 10 fold over his generic setup.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Selmer S80 is the model name. The D and C* are the facing sizes.

D is more "open" than a C*. A C** is halfway in between those two.

Are you playing Alto, Tenor, or Bari? I'll assume Alto. A C* with a good stiff reed ( 3 1/2 or 4, depending on brand), or a D with a Med reed (2 1/2 to 3) would be similar, but with different playing techniques to hone them in.

Personally, I RARELY recommend any S80. There are much better mouthpieces for the money that are much more consistent. I say rarely, because I did put a student on an S80 C* (Alto) and 2 1/2 reed (he was a beginner w/barely a year of playing under him) and his tone and intonation improved 10 fold over his generic setup.
I play Tenor, and I have about 8 years of sax playing under my belt, with about 5 on tenor.
I use vandoren bluebox strength 4 reeds.

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
I have an S-80 C* as well as a long-shank Soloist C** and the Vandoren TL4. I like the VD piece much better myself. A bit brighter than the Soloist, about the same as the S-80 in terms of brightness, but fuller.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,290 Posts
For Selmer tenor mouthpieces, I would choose an F or even an E. I use a D on alto but the tenor mouthpieces seem stuffy and dead in a D or smaller. I like the Brilhart family of tenor mouthpieces including the modern Ricos. Great for the money.

·
Registered
9,144 Posts
If you like a C* size on alto, the "equivalent" size on tenor is a D. Many teachers recommend "C*" on all saxes but this is dogma. I would also recommend the Vandorens over the Selmers. The facing work is generally better coming from the factory.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you like a C* size on alto, the "equivalent" size on tenor is a D. Many teachers recommend "C*" on all saxes but this is dogma. I would also recommend the Vandorens over the Selmers. The facing work is generally better coming from the factory.
Interesting............... I'll keep that in mind.

·
6,831 Posts
Mojo knows his mouthpieces!

Personally, I don't play anything smaller than an .090 tip on Tenor (a Rousseau Classic refaced by Aaron Drake to .090), and that's for Community Band. My Jazz/Rock/Everything else piece is my .110 Drake Studio.

The Rousseau I use BARI* Med reeds on, and the Drake I use BARI* Soft reeds on.

I have most of my background in my profile.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,290 Posts
I use a .047" on soprano, .075" (D) on alto but on tenor I like a .095". Even for classical, I think that anything smaller than about a .085" is too stuffy and dim.

·
6,831 Posts
Tip size is a personal choice, and I went through many sizes, before settling where I did! For some, small is better, others, large, but for most of we're in the middle.

Soprano: .055-.065
Alto: .080-.085
Tenor: .090-.110
Bari: .100-.115

Those are the tips I play on. The smaller tips I play generally have a shorter lay, and a rollover baffle (if any), and the larger tips I play have a long lay and a high baffle.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Your band teacher is probably recommending that facing because it is closer to stock. That will ensure that you blend. Most teachers will recommend a 4, 5, or C*. I moved up to a .095 in 10th grade and never looked back.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts