Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Selmer MkVI(lowA) vs Yanagisawa B-WO10 (baritone saxes)

Which is better on your opinion (if at similar price)?
Is there someone who tried both of them?
I know that the preference (sound... ergonomics... ecc) is subjective, but I need to have gross info before trying them or to decide if trying both of them or only one (they are distant).

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
One is a Japanese instrument made with high tech tools the other is a French instrument made solely by hand and has been used for at least 50 years, so which horn is the better horn is a quite easy question to answer.
The subjective attributes you mention above, are... well, subjective.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I auditioned Yanigasawa B901, Yanigasawa B902, Selmer Mark VI low A, Selmer Mark VI low Bb, Selmer Series II, Selmer Series III, and Yamaha 62 baritone saxophones in January 2019. All horns were expertly adjusted (Roberto's, KB Sax, and USA horn). I could not find a B-WO10 or B-WO1.

I liked my sound best on the two Mark VI's best, but the response and action on the Yamaha YBS62 was phenomenal. I thought the B901 and B902 were very good, but didn't have the finesse or tone of the YBS62 or the tone of the Mark VI.

I heard good things about the B-WO10 and I imagine it would compare well to the Selmer and Yamaha. The Selmer horns in excellent playing condition were markedly more expensive than the Japanese saxes, so I think if you are concerned about the price you will be happiest with the Yanigasawa as you find it at great prices if you shop it well (especially if you are willing to buy online).

·
Registered
146 Posts
Hello,

I looked for a bari approx 2 years ago and played
- used Yamaha 32
- used Selmer mk6
- new Selmer SIII
- new jupiter 1100 series
- new Jupiter 1000 series
- used Yanagisawa B900
- new Yanagisawa B901

From sound perspective the Series III was my favourite but I purchased the B901 as they have been so close and the Yani was approx half of the price of the Selmer.
Play it and buy the one you like and affort

BR
Juergen

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
7,904 Posts
Yanagisawa Baritones are not in the same league as Selmer MKVI baritones.
The yani’s are way better.
Forget the whole MKVI **** and play the horns, Yanagisawa Baritones are like a Vi but with better ergos, better intonation and more character to their sound.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Yanagisawa Baritones are not in the same league as Selmer MKVI baritones.
The yani’s are way better.
Forget the whole MKVI **** and play the horns, Yanagisawa Baritones are like a Vi but with better ergos, better intonation and more character to their sound.
Now that's a big, bold statement. I play a B6...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
7,904 Posts
Now that's a big, bold statement. I play a B6...
Perhaps a little too big and bold.
Although it has been my experience in the past.
Although just this morning I played a late MKVI Baritone Low Bb and it was terrific.
So much so that I am now it’s new owner.
Speaks better than my older Yanagisawa did, but that was a low A B6 model.
Keywork is remarkably similar, although the front F is a little more of a stretch.
It is also quite well set up.
Perhaps that is what I based my earlier statement on.
The VI’s I had tried in the past may not have been well set up.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Re: Selmer MkVI(lowA) vs Yanagisawa B-WO10 (baritone saxes)

Which is better on your opinion (if at similar price)?
I played mark VI baritones a extensively a long time ago when in college. The horns available to me were all quite different from each other. There was one that was very well set-up and worked wonderfully. The others were really kind of unremarkable. I would think that may still be the case. With Mark VI horn priced the same as a new Yanagisawa B-W010 you would probably need to spend time getting it set-up to your satisfaction. They new Yanagisawa would pretty much good to go right away. There would be far fewer surprises too.

The other advantage with a new Yanagisawa would be the availability of different necks to color the sound to your liking. I recently picked up a used B900 / Vito-VSP. I also purchased a brand new bronze #92 neck that made the upper register fuller and more stable. The combination is working very well for me.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
...and I got a B-WO10!
I was lucky because I found it in mint conditions (used a few months!) at a special price.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hey Tate, what was your favorite setup back in the day? You know, when you were still alive? Just curious...
Strangely enough I’m not really Tate Houston.
I know, crazy isn’t it.
I am however a big fan of his big sound.
As for his set up, I have no idea as there is very little information to be found about him.
I’m going to guess he played a Conn 12m with maybe an old Berg 3 chamber or something similar.
Would love to find out for sure as I love his sound on Bone and Bari with Curtis Fuller.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
So you mean that just because Coltrane played a Mark VI _tenor_ the Mark VI _baritone_ will not make you sound like... erhh.. Lars Gullin (or insert your bari player of choice)? :)
(Lars actually played a Mark VI)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts