Sax on the Web Forum banner
41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have to agree with Pete. Any horn that you are used to playing will automatically be more comfortable. I think noth your Selmers have radically different serial numbers, neck tapers/flare, and dimensions resulting in the middle register feeling more focused or spread. Are key heights the same on both horns? Late SBA versus early SBA will feel different from behind the horn while upfront it might sound the same. Middle D on the tenor is a nice note to test. Sounds like you may have been standing a bit closer to the mic on the SBA clip resulting in the "louder" responses. The height of the ceiling in the room where you are playing (acoustics) and how much natural reverb in the room will also have an effect on how you hear the horn. I'd play the same notes at extreme pianissimo and fortissimo at the same mic distance. This test wouldn't be much fun as playing a Bird head but at least you would eliminate the expressive/inflections aspect of playing a melody and only evaluating the horn.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
not sure what everybody else was listening to but they sounded identical to me. Preamps are what can make the difference sonically; also, are you at 24 bit? You need that kind of resolution to get an accurate comparison.
Yeah, almost 100% sure that i record in 24-bit depth.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
I have to agree with Pete. Any horn that you are used to playing will automatically be more comfortable. I think noth your Selmers have radically different serial numbers, neck tapers/flare, and dimensions resulting in the middle register feeling more focused or spread. Are key heights the same on both horns? Late SBA versus early SBA will feel different from behind the horn while upfront it might sound the same. Middle D on the tenor is a nice note to test. Sounds like you may have been standing a bit closer to the mic on the SBA clip resulting in the "louder" responses. The height of the ceiling in the room where you are playing (acoustics) and how much natural reverb in the room will also have an effect on how you hear the horn. I'd play the same notes at extreme pianissimo and fortissimo at the same mic distance. This test wouldn't be much fun as playing a Bird head but at least you would eliminate the expressive/inflections aspect of playing a melody and only evaluating the horn.
MIC distance is exactly the same for both recordings. The SBA simply projects more , at least in MF nuance. As for key heights, a late SBA vs mid/late mkVI are very different designs with different bodies, necks and key heights.. The sba keys are designed to not be opened up as much as the keys of a mk6. I have adjusted the key heights on both horns so they perform at their best.

On the mk6 low F measures 9.3mm and left hand B key measure 7.2mm (from edge of pad to the tonehole rim). I assume that's fairly open? The measurement of the sba is less than that but I don't remember exactly, B key is between 5.5mm-7mm maximum.

41 - 43 of 43 Posts