Sax on the Web Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
Roger, great ......as usual.

In the first two clips my preference was the SBA, possibly because you felt more comfortable/ used to it.

These second two clips felt closer.
Mark six possibly a little less centre to the sound, which is something I feel anyway about the slightly later mark sixes.
But I would never have been able to date either sax from your clips, as you would expect.
ie if I heard either clip on its own, I would never be able to identify what it was.

I loved them all, though.

·
Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
30,102 Posts
Excellent choice - as no one on this forum likely wants to hear someone else play a bunch of long-tones on two different instruments.
Agree, well not for listening pleasure anyway but those who really want to get into the differences between two instruments (don't look at me!) would probably need something more scientific.

Long notes at varying dynamics. Veeeerrrryyyy boring indeed. My own sound companions have mostly been done with tunes, but in same cases scales.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I don’t think the recordings with reverb / background are so helpful, but for me there is a very clear distinction in tone between the SBA/ VI in the second recording.. playing a VI myself I prefer the extra clarity in the upper registers from the VI. Can’t rule out familiarity, but this was really clear on my iPad.. and if differences are not evident here, then I don’t feel they will be really significant
Love these comparisons.. :)

·
Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
30,102 Posts
I don't think the recordings with reverb / background are so helpful
Reverb?

Reverb normally just makes things sound more natural, as in this case. I think people can here the differences in source sound beyond any slight amounts of reverb.

And any differences in the source will also be echoed in any reverb there may be.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Reverb?

Reverb normally just makes things sound more natural, as in this case. I think people can here the differences in source sound beyond any slight amounts of reverb.

And any differences in the source will also be echoed in any reverb there may be.
I agree, slight reverb gives some distance and ability for the sound to breath more. Too much reverb on the other hand is just annoying and tends to cloud the sound.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk

·
SOTW Member
3,394 Posts
So yrs ago I take my beautiful '49 SBA tenor to the gig for the first time. I had just come to Vegas and this was a good gig, big stage..I'd had the SBA for awhile, never gigged on, the thing was absolutely like new.. I never took it out of the house, I did have the original pads replaced by one of NorCal's best techs. The horn was the BOMB from all angles. There is one on eBay right now for 50K,, mine was nicer.. So this SBA was ready right..?

Well here we go, a big hall, me standing mid-stage with a warm-up trio and they provide NO mic..So there I was, first tune and buried. The horn felt freakin, dull and soundless..I missed my VI sooooo BAD. With that baby I can hit the back wall no mic easily.

Somehow that SBA just wouldn't cut for me even with a Super King on it. I never looked at that SBA the same again..was it the horn..??

...well I played my VI tenor for decades before I got the SBA and I know what it will do...:whistle:

I got 10K for the SBA, still got my VI

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
As an SBA owner I'm obviously really biased towards that horn, but honestly I wouldn't be able to tell which was the Mk VI and which was the SBA if it were a blind test. You sound great on both of them, and I probably would've guessed the Mark VI was the SBA without knowing.

Volume-wise my SBA isn't the loudest, but it definitely likes to get edgy and gritty when pushed, which is an interesting quirk of the otherwise lush-sounding horn. If the sound isn't cutting through the band I tend to think of it as a mouthpiece issue though. Alto I still think about the SBA I let go of... that thing was so loud and punchy and begged to be pushed, much moreso than my Mark VI.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Your SBA sounds more like my 81xxx Mark VI, and your Mark VI sounds like my 104xxx Mark VI. The difference I hear in your samples is pretty close to my perception of my two horns.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
So yrs ago I take my beautiful '49 SBA tenor to the gig for the first time. I had just come to Vegas and this was a good gig, big stage..I'd had the SBA for awhile, never gigged on, the thing was absolutely like new.. I never took it out of the house, I did have the original pads replaced by one of NorCal's best techs. The horn was the BOMB from all angles. There is one on eBay right now for 50K,, mine was nicer.. So this SBA was ready right..?

Well here we go, a big hall, me standing mid-stage with a warm-up trio and they provide NO mic..So there I was, first tune and buried. The horn felt freakin, dull and soundless..I missed my VI sooooo BAD. With that baby I can hit the back wall no mic easily.

Somehow that SBA just wouldn't cut for me even with a Super King on it. I never looked at that SBA the same again..was it the horn..??

...well I played my VI tenor for decades before I got the SBA and I know what it will do...:whistle:

I got 10K for the SBA, still got my VI
Dull and soundless sounds bad! Did you have your keys opened up a fair ammount? The sba needs some venting to speak.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Your SBA sounds more like my 81xxx Mark VI, and your Mark VI sounds like my 104xxx Mark VI. The difference I hear in your samples is pretty close to my perception of my two horns.
Ok, can you do a comparison of your horns it would be much fun to hear!

·
Premium Member
18,604 Posts
I preferred the Mark VI in both compares. In my ears it sounds a bit darker and stronger and more even over the whole range. The SBA sounds a bit more alive, but my personal taste seems to go to darker the last years. I would have used a bit less reverb in the recording (only some room, without tail).

But as always you sound very good on both horns and they are actually very close.

I have a SBA like yours (536xx, with the keys opened to the max) and mine is a very loud horn and I've not often played a better horn. One which I judged as a better horn was the 57xxx Mark VI of my Big Band band leader, a very strong playing and slightly darker sounding horn than mine which also could take a bit more air than my SBA. A tech told me once that the keys on a VI can be more open compared to a SBA (where the left hand pinky table is a bit in the way).

·
SOTW Member
3,394 Posts
Dull and soundless sounds bad! Did you have your keys opened up a fair ammount? The sba needs some venting to speak.
Yes I suppose could be it needed more venting..

But also I do know the tech who set it up was very experienced in Selmers. I will say I did not play or practice on the SBA a lot after the repad, the thing was a museum piece I had bought for investment..at that time I had 4-5 other tenors anyway.

But I had just never taken it onstage and it was a hella surprise to get caught like that...:(

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I preferred the Mark VI in both compares. In my ears it sounds a bit darker and stronger and more even over the whole range. The SBA sounds a bit more alive, but my personal taste seems to go to darker the last years. I would have used a bit less reverb in the recording (only some room, without tail).

But as always you sound very good on both horns and they are actually very close.

I have a SBA like yours (536xx, with the keys opened to the max) and mine is a very loud horn and I've not often played a better horn. One which I judged as a better horn was the 57xxx Mark VI of my Big Band band leader, a very strong playing and slightly darker sounding horn than mine which also could take a bit more air than my SBA. A tech told me once that the keys on a VI can be more open compared to a SBA (where the left hand pinky table is a bit in the way).
My SBA I think sounds darker than my mk6. What I like about the mk6 is the strong and stable mid register and it can take more air. The serial of my mk6 is 168xxx so some say its a bland sounding horn, a bit more sterile sounding. I don't know but its not as organic as the SBA. A bit colder sound but I like the more brighter edge.

Skickat från min LM-G710 via Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
not sure what everybody else was listening to but they sounded identical to me. Preamps are what can make the difference sonically; also, are you at 24 bit? You need that kind of resolution to get an accurate comparison.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts