Sax on the Web Forum banner
41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
(formerly borganiboy)
5,566 Posts
Had a 1956 , 3 1961 and a late 1972 , all tenors, the 1956 year was the least nice. Felt dead. Also tested a bunch of other 1961ish year tenors, always seemed the best to my lugs . Those early 60's horns were great.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I'm playing a 137XXX (1966) relaq (but the lacquer is almost totally worn of) that's amazing. I've played a lot of Mark VI tenors from different ranges, a lot of less amazing ones and some amazing ones.

The interesting thing about my 1966 is that it is very free blowing and a little more spread sounding than most Mark VIs, still strong "selmer core" but just a little bit more spread than many others I've tried. The closest horn I've found sound wise is my friends SBA think it's a 48XXX and it sounds a lot like my VI and has the same amount of resistance.

I've also played a great 69xxx a few times that's just sitting in a locker in my old Upper Secondary School, I've tried to get them to sell it to me many times without luck. That one is pretty close to mine, maybe a tad darker and a little bit more focused. Don't know if I like it more than mine but if I was going to buy a horn and it was between my horn and this 69XXX and they were priced with US prices it would be ridiculous to not choose my 137XXX Relaq over the original laq 69XXX because they are so close.

Another interesting thing I noticed is that almost all the VIs I've liked the best has had pretty high key heights. I've been having my overhauls done by a tech in Gothenburg that's an expert on vintage horns and he's very in to opening up the key heights on Mark VIs and he says that all of them will be very free blowing and tune great on a special height. Do you know who I talk about Roger? If not and you're interested I can send you his name in a PM.

I know that many people will argue about the key height statement but for me the best ones I've tried has been having high key heights. My horn is overhauled by the guy I talked about and the 69XXX I've talked about earlier was also overhauled by him.
And a few weeks ago I tried a sax players six from 1967 (one year later than mine) that horn had the key heights very close or maybe identical to mine and it played amazing. He told me that he and his tech had experimented and raised key heights until it stopped to change the sound and resistance.

I also played a great 112XXX last summer that had the key heights pretty low. It played amazing but was a bit to resistant for my taste but I think I would have loved that horn if the key heights were raised.
I've never had intonation problems or problems playing fast with higher heights. But as I said I don't know if the statement is true, it's just a theory my experience has given me.

But maybe I have a great neck on my horn, I remember doing a gig with a guy who had a Parshos Wood Neck on his six and he said it made his sax a lot more open. I tried his wood neck on my horn and it totally killed the sound.

Here's a clip of me playing my VI:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ws9aaEhCnnQ

Btw: Thank you for sharing your interesting storys about Mike Phil!
You sound great on your mk6 Limpan! It seems to have a rich and spread sound. As for the tech in Gothenburg, I don't know really who you mean. I set my key height fairly open, especially in the right hand and bell keys. Low f is about 10mm open. Left hand is around 8mm on B. It makes a big difference, just by open up low C B Bb (if its too low) reduces the resistance and enhance the sound. Too low... I use my ears for this together with how the horn feels when playing passages and arpeggios across the range. If too low I find the transition between the notes is not smooth enough and horn sounds a bit dead. I repadded my 6 recently and set the pad height afterwards. This is how it turned out.

Listen to Selmer Mark VI 168xxx by RogerNordling #np on #SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.com/roger-nordling/selmer-mark-vi

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk

I totally agree with your statement about transition between notes with to low key heights,that’s what I have experienced to.

You sound great as always! Do you prefer the VI over the SBA or the other way around?

·
Registered
57 Posts
I also agree on the higher key heights. Although mine is not quite as open as the 8 & 10, mine a little over 7 for left hand B and a little over 9 for right F along with opened up bell keys. It opened up the horn for me and cured some "burble" on low notes, especially low D. Much prefer it to when it was set up lower.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
I totally agree with your statement about transition between notes with to low key heights,that’s what I have experienced to.

You sound great as always! Do you prefer the VI over the SBA or the other way around?
That's a tough one to answer cause there is no clear winner between the two if I answer that question today. If we talk only sound the SBA might have a slight slight edge over my mk6 from behind the horn. When listening back I might prefer my mk6 by a very small margin. Its a bit more slotted and clear ( not always a good thing).

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk

41 - 44 of 44 Posts