Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW member, musician, technician &
4,982 Posts
I'm not sure, but from what I remember, all Mark VIs I've seen had the same pivot screws except some later ones with headless pivot screw (and posts to match), though I've also seen later ones with normal pivot screws.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
1,863 Posts
On the occasions when I have ordered Pivot screws for Selmer MK VI's I've not seen for sale different types so I assume there is only one type.

Having said that, On the all the mk Vi's I have had through the workshop the octave paddle key ( the one you press with your thumb) had a smaller pivot screws compared to therest of the horn.

·
Registered
149 Posts
It is depends on the different parts which you are asking. So far I did see 2 type of the Pivot screw, but honestly I did not know if they comes with original condition or it is add on later.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
4,507 Posts
No they ain't all the same. They change from the older coarse ones (M3 x 0.60) to the new standard metric M3 x 0.50 at about 140.000 when they loose the nicer double scroll trim rings.

I haven't seen a single horn with headless pivot screws from Selmer in my entire life. It would raise my eyebrow and make me think counterfeit (headless pivot screw on selmers) Not saying that if it has headless pivot screws can't be a selmer, just stating that I never saw one and never heard of such a thing exists.

·
4,507 Posts
yes, the octave lever has 2 smaller screws wich are bass clarinet size. Selmer has 3 sizes of pivot screws, small clarinet, large clarinet/small sax, and large sax. Then there's the old coarse pitch vs. new fine metric pitch on them pivots, and there's earlier pitches like UNC#1x56TPI on small clarinet rod screws, sax roller rod screws, side keys rod screws. Medium rod screw old style is UNF #1x64TPI new style is M2.3 x 0.45

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
I think Selmer may occasionally do a bit of experimenting, and sell the experiments. What else would they do with them?

·
Distinguished SOTW member, musician, technician &
4,982 Posts
Right, I forgot about the two smaller pivot screws for the octave lever. I only had to replace a few pivot screws on Mark VIs and all were the same. I never compared pivot screws from different times side by side and never measured them, so I didn't know they changed them at some point. As far as the headless pivot screws, I know very few saw them. I also (to quote jicaino) "raised my eyebrow" when I first saw it. I remember one other person posting that he saw them before.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you all for replying!

Can the newer M3x0.60 pivot be subsituted (without damaging the post thread) for the older M3x0.50 pivot on the earlier MK6?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
4,690 Posts
Its a different pitch, you can make it fit, but it will recut the pitch of the thread in the post, when you recut a threaded post really you are pushing the raised thread section about and weakening the thread

·
4,507 Posts
It's the other way around, the coarser pitch (M3x0.60) is the older, while the newer one (M3x0.50) is finer.

Now technically cutting a finer pitch over a coarser pitch on the same diameter is possible, however, we're talking a minor difference here... I have seen a lot of horns that got rethreaded for accepting the newer pivots end up in wobbly pivot screws, or stripped threads in the posts, or insatisfactory fitting.

How many of them old style VI pivot screws do you need?

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician.
3,196 Posts
There was a period when Selmer tried to get the screws made in Taiwan, didn't like the resulats and went back to making them themsleves. Allegedly the screw machine they use now is the same one they used on MkVIs - (not sure I believe that). The modern screws have a different shape to the older ones with curving sides. I think the shape switched with the S80 (?)

·
Registered
59 Posts
No they ain't all the same. They change from the older coarse ones (M3 x 0.60) to the new standard metric M3 x 0.50 at about 140.000 when they loose the nicer double scroll trim rings.

By chance, I tried a late model Mk VI bari (200xxx) pivot screw on a 5 digit VI tenor and it fits. So maybe this is not cast in stone? BTW, anybody knows where I can get some of these early pivot screws?

Cheers
David

·
Registered
4 Posts
hi I have a question for Jicaino, what is the size of the rod pivot screws on selmers S 80 series 111 alto ? I have cross threaded a post and need to retap.

·
Registered
8 Posts
[I haven't seen a single horn with headless pivot screws from Selmer in my entire life. It would raise my eyebrow and make me think counterfeit (headless pivot screw on selmers) Not saying that if it has headless pivot screws can't be a selmer, just stating that I never saw one and never heard of such a thing exists.[/QUOTE]

I have seen a few. Definitely the real thing. One was a very nice playing tenor...
Dan @RTC

1 - 19 of 19 Posts