Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there,

Just wanted to ask if anyone has experience playing these horns.
I live in a part of the world were trying before you buy is not as possible as in the US so I would like to get some opinions please.
Looking to buy a backup horn and these three are for sale within my budget. Aside the fact that all the opinions are subjective and all horns are different, what have you experience with these horns? Would you recommend them? If no, why not?

Help a confused brother here please!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
8,097 Posts
I’ve found that the MkVII tenors (or at least the one that I have) have a fuller darker tone than the 900 series Yanagisawa horns I’ve tried.
I imagine that a Conn Transitional would also be on the darker end.
Ergonomically The MKVII and the 900 series are drastically more modern than the conn tranny.
And Mouthpiece choice may be more limited with the tranny also.
These are a few points that should be taken into account when comparing.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
saxophone, flutes and lil' bit of clarinet
7,271 Posts
Are you asking about altos? I’d probably go with the Selmer if you can deal with the ergonomics. Definitely not the Conn.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Mr Bb. Much appreciated

Thanks Soybean, I should've specified, it is tenor I'm talking about

·
Registered
645 Posts
I played a Mark VII tenor for a few years, and they're underrated imo. They're very dark, but still pretty focused. However, the right mouthpiece can take care of both issues if you don't like them, and they have a ton of body, so there's a lot of room to move with respect to tone. They are, however, really heavy, and the floppy pinky keys can be hard to get used to. Then again, the pinky keys on the Conn will take more getting used to if you play modern saxes. Conns have a classic, dark, spread, buzzy tone that a lot of folks including myself love, though there's something about the way they respond that's turned me off. It might not be a problem for you, and in any case, they're lovely horns, especially the prewar ones. Yanis have really fantastic ergonomics, but their tone tends to be pretty bright and pretty focused. I like their altos a lot, but I'm not too fond of the tenors. Again though, you might feel differently.

If you can play test any of these horns, that's the best way to know what's right for you. Otherwise, it's more about what kind of sound you're after. Generally, the Yani will be bright and focused, the Selmer dark and focused, and the Conn dark and spread, though what setup you use will obviously affect things. You can't really go too wrong with any of these horns, though. What's your current horn? If you're looking for a backup horn, it should probably be in a similar ballpark to what you're playing now. If you currently play a modern horn, the Yani would probably be the safest bet.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Homely Saxman. I appreciated your insight.
I currently play a MK VI but wanted to have either something similar or completely different (nuts right?)
I had a leaky MK VII in my hands once, couldn't play it because this thing was missing some pads and it was torture trying to make a sound with it. It felt a bit weird in my hands (I don't have super small hands but my pinky is not too large) and the spatula as well as the right hand C/Eb keys felt ...awkward.
Played a Conn in my student years, hated it but it was an school horn in the 80's so didn't have too much TLC and it sounded terrible so probably it was soo mistreated that now I feel sorry for it.
I haven't play Yani tenor, but I have a Bari 901 and I love it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts