Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Browsed through an old Selmer mk VII brochure and suddenly noticed (40 years after getting it!) that the alto is described as being keyed to high G! Is this a misprint or could there have been plans for a (maybe optional?) high G key?
I guess a high F# on the baritone would have been expected, had there ever been a "proper" mk VII baritone. But what about the low end of the bass...?:unsure:

1620052829536.png

/Saxray

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,093 Posts
I've got the same brochure and also a Mk7 alto. The alto goes to high F# and the brochure doesn't mention or show a high G key so I think that is an error.

A friend also has a Mk7 alto but his has the optional (special order) "harmonic key" which is operated by the LH thumb beside the octave key. The harmonic key is described as "this extra key, used as from the A harmonic, allows easier blowing in this register, facilitates connection without modifying the player's embouchure." My friend has never used that extra key, but he doesn't play altissimo.

The "written" range of the bass must surely be an error too. And of course that bass wasn't a Mk7 - just a continuation of the MkVI design.

Rhys

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,040 Posts
Did Selmer make a Serie II bari that did not go to low A?

·
Registered
6,183 Posts
Looks like the marketeers got hold of the information from Engineering and screwed it up, as usual.

Was there ever a bass saxophone made and labeled "Mark 7"? We know there are a few baritones so labeled, with the associated controversy over which of these are Mark 6s with a different label and which are actually a different design, but I never heard of a Mark 7 bass sax.

Also the baritone range should have (whether true M7 or relabeled M6) shown written low A.

So, three known errors on a single chart of the simplest possible nature, published by what was the leading saxophone manufacturer at the time. Really gives you a lot of confidence in late-70s Selmer quality.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Did Selmer make a Serie II bari that did not go to low A?
Yes - though it and the older Yani baris keyed just down to Low Bb are sort of unicorns or as I like to say "uni-horns". There's a picture of the SA80 Low Bb bari and a short discussion here if you're interested...

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looks like the marketeers got hold of the information from Engineering and screwed it up, as usual.

Was there ever a bass saxophone made and labeled "Mark 7"? We know there are a few baritones so labeled, with the associated controversy over which of these are Mark 6s with a different label and which are actually a different design, but I never heard of a Mark 7 bass sax.

Also the baritone range should have (whether true M7 or relabeled M6) shown written low A.

So, three known errors on a single chart of the simplest possible nature, published by what was the leading saxophone manufacturer at the time. Really gives you a lot of confidence in late-70s Selmer quality.
Well, to be fair, the picture shows both a low A and low Bb bari so I guess you could say it´s correct to at least some extent. Also, it doesn´t really say that the saxes in this picture are mk VIIs (which they weren´t, right?).
But what about the high F# key? Was that even an option on the mk VI/VII baris?

/Saxray

·
Registered
5,493 Posts
I've got the same brochure and also a Mk7 alto. The alto goes to high F# and the brochure doesn't mention or show a high G key so I think that is an error.
I know that Steve ("Due to the unique cell structure of marsupials, kangaroo pads do not stick.") Goodson offers an alto sax keyed to high G, but I've never such a beast from Selmer Paris.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I know that Steve ("Due to the unique cell structure of marsupials, kangaroo pads do not stick.") Goodson offers an alto sax keyed to high G, but I've never such a beast from Selmer Paris.
Judging from pictures at sax dot co dot uk, the Selmer (USA) La Vie alto also comes with a high G key. But for the mk VII, unless this was an option that never actually materialized, I guess it all comes down to sloppy proof reading.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
40,434 Posts
well, they are not the same sax and they were made by two different companies

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well, they are not the same sax and they were made by two different companies
Yes, of course. I just meant to point out that high G altos are readily available, although maybe not that common. But in the end, I do agree that a high G option doesn´t sound very likely on a 1970s Selmer. As turf3 pointed out, it is rather amusing with so many mistakes in one small chart!

/Saxray

1 - 13 of 13 Posts